PDA

View Full Version : Filter Aid

The Maple Men
01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
How long is it good for? How Much do you add to each gallon? and i was looking on bascom web site it says sap filter aid is this used for syrup and just a misprint or to you filter sap first too?

3% Solution
01-31-2009, 09:07 PM
The Maple Men,
I use 1/8 of a cup per 3/4 of a gallon.
It will depend on how you are filtering your syrup.
You guys are closer to The Maple Guys, they sell it.
It's where I got mine.
I think it was something like $8.00 for 5 lbs.
As long as you keep it dry I think it would be good for ever, it's a power.
Others no doubt know more about it than I do.

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I have had mine for 8 years and I put it in 5 gallon buckets and keep them sealed and its like new. Now the funny thing is I orderd my press and 30lb filter aid and it came about Sept 20 after the attack on the twin towers and the bag was leaking the filter aid and it was all over the UPS truck and the driver was pissed. I wonderd how many people thaught it was Anthrax.

3% Solution
02-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Haynes,
At that time in everyone's life that wasn't funny, but now, I think it's hilarious.
I bet he was flipping "what's this stuff, what's this stuff?"
You should have told him it was a special mix of highly classified stuff.
Well, on the other hand maybe that wouldn't have been good!!! :-)

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Yea I would say time has made the differance. About the time it came they were shutting down all the post offices because of Cake mix and things and I was afraid to even call and explain My neighbors think im crazy already so I didnt want the FBI and Hazmat here. My wife tells me im surounded by drama already.

maple flats
02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Haynes Forest Products. I am surprised you got the filter aid shipped. It is not an item that is shippable by UPS. For this reason I bought a bag (50#?) when I went to Bascoms openhouse last May. They are not supposed to ship it. I think it has to do with the super fine powder composition. You should not breath in the dust. In use this is not a problem as long as you are careful not to handle it in a way that stirs up dust. If you did you should wear a respirator. This is true of most if not all super fine powders. Hard on the lungs.

Dennis H.
02-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I got a 50lb bag shipped from Andersons Maple about 2 months ago, didn't have any problem having it shipped UPS. Now they did put it in a box.

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
The stuff I got from Roth is not dusty at all it stays tight like flower.

brookledge
02-02-2009, 04:54 AM
As for the amount to use, a lot of it is trial and error. In the beginning of the year you can use less and as the syrup gets darker you will need a little more. You can also get more syrup through a set of papers in the beginning of the season than at the end. I usually batch filter instead of continuous filter. I fill into kegs so I will get 18-20 gallons into my canner and prior to running it through the press I will put in about 3-4 cups. Stir it and then I will draw off about 3-4 quarts into a pail and add about another cup. Stir it and run that through the press first. That is called pre charging the press and it helps a lot in getting more through the press.
Keith