PDA

View Full Version : Test fireing new arch how and why?

gator330
01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Is there any other reason to test fire or is it just can't wait to see it work???

Small fire first?? Any reason to "Cure" The arch or just fire up and let it go??

jtthibodeau
01-31-2009, 01:53 PM
At minimum, test firing will burn off any manufacturing oils or solvents still adhering to the arch. This may cause smoking a bit at first so, I'd start with a small fire and work my way up.

Just my opinion........

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Heck yes theres a reason....B E C A U S E....I T S....F U N....Really you dont want surprises when its full of sap because you wont shut it down and change it. Plus it gets the neighbors talking and fellow sapers nervous.

Let us know how it works and keep the use of smiley faces to a minumum lets go times awasting.

Dennis H.
01-31-2009, 02:56 PM
If you just bricked the arch then you should get a small fire going just to cure the mortar. That is what I have been told any way. Just be sure the pans have some water in them before getting any size of fire going in the evap.

Once you get a small fire going and the mortar is cured then let her rip! Fill the pans with water and watch the steam.

It is just amazing how much fun you can have watching water boil!!

gator330
01-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok, so I went out and fired it up!! The fire burned, the smoke went out the stack and the steam went up through the "ski light" I installed over the evaporator. Steam was rolling off the pan at a good rate. I need to start stocking up on more wood!!!! Hook up the head tank and other then cleaning every thing and getting some tubing run I'm good to go. I just wish now that I got a bigger evaporator!!!!!

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Well dont we all wish alot of things were bigger in the sap shack. Now comes the fun part how to make it produce more...........have fun

Sugarmaker
01-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Gator,
Sounds like the event went as planned, great! you are ready for sap!

Chris

Dennis H.
01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Great to hear everything went well for you on your test boil.

mapleman3
01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm jealous, I want to test fire!! maybe in a week or so!