PDA

View Full Version : Melting Solder

Sugar Sue
01-31-2009, 08:37 AM
When we bought our house in July we got the sugar shack and a old Leader 2x6 evaporator. The kids and I went out and ran some water through them. To our great dissapointment they leak. They are English tin. We took them off hot, water was steaming but not boiling, dumped the water out, and set them upright against the wall to drain. Here is the problem. We went out to get them today to bring them in and look for the leaks and some of the solder from under the top lip of the boxes ran out! Why did this happen? Will it affect the pans? The sap will never run that deep.

Sugar Sue

ericjeeper
01-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Several things could have came into play. previous owner overheated the pan. Or the fabricator got sloppy many years ago.
To get the pans fixed. Find a local radiator shop. Explain NO Lead solder be used. They can fix them pretty quick and pretty cheap too.

Sugar Sue
01-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Will they find the holes? I am having a time figuring out where they are?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-31-2009, 08:55 AM
If you could get a very bright light underneath it while it was upside down in a completely dark room, this should help to be able to find and mark them.

ericjeeper
01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
If you could get a very bright light underneath it while it was upside down in a completely dark room, this should help to be able to find and mark them.

This is a very valid way of locating. But put the light under the pan.Do not plug the light in.. seal all the light in.around the bottom tape it to the floor with black duct tape maybe.,. Sit in the dark room for about 5 minutes in total darkness. This will really let your pupils adjusted for best light seeking.. Then plug in the light..and all the tiny pin holes should appear.. Use a magic marker to mark the holes.
I built a few dark rooms for mammogram development years back and you will be amazed after sitting in there for 5-10 minutes how much you can see leaking in through the seals.
If all this fails you.. Just have him run a bead anyplace he might feel it could leak. Good luck

maplecrest
01-31-2009, 12:07 PM
is the flue pan or front pan leaking. if flue you can jam felt in flue near leak that will sugar over and not leak. on front pan if leak is small they will sugar over and not leak. if hole is big enough to see light then it will need to be fixed. the difference between small bro.s pans and leader and grimm is the way the metal is folded and soldered. small bro. pans will leak at the joints but sugar over. leader and grimm will take more heat and run solder awhile before leaking.

jtthibodeau
01-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Great idea with the light. Here's another idea. I'm not sure how this would work but, how about hot water with a food grade dye. The hot water should expand the pan and expose leaks while the dye may make spotting the leak a little easier.

Just a thought............

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2009, 02:13 PM
What works for me when I was making candy in my pans is. If there clean FROM the inside use compressed air and blow on all the joints a little soapy water on the outside helps. You need a good air nozzel Home Depot Blue with long neck Cambell Hausfeld..the best

If you have a small pin hole in the solder Burnish it with a smooth object like a spoon rub it hard and fast and it will seal alot of holes.