PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Cone Filter Plugs Up

Rick_Seebeck
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
I finish my syrup and pour it through a pre-filter paper into a synthetic cone filter. The problem is that I can only pour about one quart into the cone before it plugs up and stops filtering. What am I doing wrong. It is taking forever to bottle. FYI, I only do about 7 gallons of syrup each year.

mfchef54
01-30-2009, 09:22 AM
First make sure you treat the cone filter with hot water first. to get rid of excess water slid you hand down filter but do no not ring. try using more than one paper filter and remove as filter gets clogged.

Dennis H.
01-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Rick the same thing happened to me last also.

I will be using flat filters this year instead of the cones. I think the problem with the cones are that all the sugar sand and stuff you want to be filtered out naturally go to the bottom/point of the cone and blocks the filter up. I don't think the side of the cone really do much of the filtering.

That is the reason I went to the flat filter, more surface area that will be filtering.

The set up I am going to use is to a 2" deep perferated steam pan on top of a 6" steam pan. I got some flat filters that were 36"x36" and cut them in half. It over hangs the steam pan someso if it starts to slow down I just can slide the filter over a little to get some fresh surface area. I also use prefilters to help extend the life of the filter between cleanings.

swierczt
01-30-2009, 10:27 AM
I had the same problem Rick. I saw a post last year about putting 4-6 filter liners together before starting the syrup through. Worked like a charm! As soon as it stopped flowing, pulled one liner out carefully so not to get burnt or spill syrup...poured the syrup stuck in liner into next liner and repeat until all the syrup is through.

Haynes Forest Products
01-30-2009, 11:51 AM
DennisH: I tried the steam pan with the holes as a filter holder and I didnt like it. If the filter lays flat on the SS pan you will notice that you are only getting about 15% filter area the rest is blocked by the pan. Now if you got yourself a nice peice of SS screen 1" spacing your better off. When your done you will see little dots of crud over the little holes.

Big maple
01-30-2009, 03:37 PM
How well do you filter you sap before you boil it? WE get about seven gallons through a pre filter before we chage them out. It may also have to do with head pressure and you also have to be patientsome times it takes ten or fifteenminutes for the stuff to filter throgh. We stack the pre-filters three deep also ,when the top one gets plugged you pull it and dumpit into the next one, it works pretty well.

802maple
01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Also some felts come with a residue on them. Boil them in hot water and rinse them with more hot water and you will find they will work better after that, you only need to do this the first time. Just my experience

Big maple
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
WE figured out the hard way with the wool cone filters. I tossed two of them out because the y left the syrup cloudy and then I read the directions that are on the little card in the bag afterwards. generally we only use synthetic they don't have that problem.

SeanD
01-30-2009, 05:07 PM
DennisH: I tried the steam pan with the holes as a filter holder and I didnt like it. If the filter lays flat on the SS pan you will notice that you are only getting about 15% filter area the rest is blocked by the pan. Now if you got yourself a nice peice of SS screen 1" spacing your better off. When your done you will see little dots of crud over the little holes.

How do you secure the screen and filter to the top of whatever the syrup is going into? I can just see myself knocking the screen and filter right off the top of a bucket when I'm moving around.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-30-2009, 06:21 PM
The large paper binder clips work great for anything like this. I am not sure what they are called, but they have 2 gray levers and a black center and you squeeze it apart and they clamp on. I use them for lots of things, big box is cheap and they hold great. Work good for holding sap filter on my 625 gallon milk tank lid too.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Here's the binder clips:

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_Staples-Black-Metal-Binder-Clips_19367_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

Work great if you are filtering syrup off of the evaporator too!

3% Solution
01-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Brandon,
Works good for holding the sap filter on top of the gathering tank too!!!

Dave

Dennis H.
01-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I picked up a few small spring clamps at Lowes, they cost $2 each. They are the metal kind with rubber tips. The plastic clamps just don't have enough clamping force to hold a filter full of syrup.

SeanD
01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
What keeps the syrup from spilling out sideways and over the side of the filter when it starts to clog up? Do you just carefully watch it and control the flow of syrup over it?

It sounds like if a cone filter clogs, I have a little safety built in, but if a flat one backs up, I have a mess. Is that true?

I do like the up-side of not having to deal with hanging a cone filter in or above my coffee pot bottler. I've seen those square filtration units. Is that what flat filters are best suited for?

3% Solution
01-31-2009, 07:36 AM
SeanD,
Yes it will seep out the sides as the bottom clogs.
Up until last year we used cone filters.
We suspended them in a plastic 5 gallon bucket right under the draw off.
We would have to change them out every 2 gallons.
Last year we had a filter / canner made, man, that works nice.
We had it made with a water jacket.
We put down an orlon filter, then 2 or 3 paper filters.
We filter about 3/4 of a gallon at a time.
Add some filter aid, stir it up real good, dump it on the top, put the cover on and let it go!!
You have to keep in mind that the hotter the syrup is the quicker and better it will filter.

Dave

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-31-2009, 08:56 AM
The link to the clips I posted above are strong enough to hold about anything. They are all metal, nothing plastic.

lpakiz
01-31-2009, 09:30 AM
For me, filtering is the most frustrating part of this hobby. I tried several methods. Here is the latest:
I made a cone filter holder that looks like a miniature version of a portable basketball hoop. The milk can sits on the base, and the filter is suspended from the "hoop".
An added twist is an extra arm centered over the hoop that is adjustable in height. I made a small ring of wire and pierced the bottom of the filter with it to make a loop. Then I attached a small rod to the ring and up to the "over-arm". I invert most of the filter (inside out-like) before I start so I start filtering high up on the sides of the cone. As it plugs, I lower the over-arm and expose more of the unused filter. I end up using the very bottom of the filter last. Most of the gunk stays stuck to the sides. I also cover the filter apperatus with a couple old towels to hold as much heat in as I can.
On the next boiling day, I hang the filter over the pan and ladle hot sap thru it to rinse most of the suger out. Then turn inside out and rinse with hot water.
I only make about 12 gallons, so a pump and press is not feasable (yet)

SeanD
01-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Sounds like a cone filter in a plastic bucket is the thing for me at this point in the game. I like the hoop and tilting idea to get as much use out of the side of the filter before clogging. I use a coffee urn for bottling, so I'll be able to get double duty out of a cone filter.

3%, did you just let the filter sit down in the filtered syrup or did you raise the filter up as the level of the filtered syrup got toward the bottom of the filter?

Sean

3% Solution
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
SeanD,
Our filter / canner holds about 5 gallons and the filters are within 2" of the top of the unit.
So the syrup just drops to the syrup inside.

Dave

tessiersfarm
01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Great Idea with the hook in the middle of the filter. I also made a rack for my cone filters you can be sure it will have a hook to invert the filter this year. Thanks

lpakiz
01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
tessierfarms--
Just remember to make the overarm (or the link) adjustable so you can easily lower it as the sides of the filter get plugged...I may go with a light dog chain and hook, so that I can choose any height I need.

SeanD
01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
SeanD,
Our filter / canner holds about 5 gallons and the filters are within 2" of the top of the unit.
So the syrup just drops to the syrup inside.

Dave

3%, I meant when you used the cone filter in the bucket.

lapkiz, do you have any pics of your rack?

lpakiz
01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
SeanD
Not right now, but I could fire up the camera tomorrow.. I warn you, it is not pretty. I would like to do it up in SS but it takes so many small, different pieces and it's hard to come up with small SS material. I did drag it out just today to look it over again and see if any ideas formed on it over winter. No luck...

3% Solution
01-31-2009, 08:21 PM
SeanD,
Ooops, wrong answer!!
Now I see what your getting at.
Would pull the paper filter up (with a twisting motion to get it) and dump it into another filter.
Tried not to dump any sand into the new filter.
That was a pain to do!!

Dave

lpakiz
01-31-2009, 09:10 PM

Here's the pic of the cone filter holder. The V-legs should be longer as it is a bit front-heavy. I would also add a sliding platform to lift or lower the reciever vessel, so the filter stays as low into the pail as possible and still drains out the syrup. The overarm (very top of pic) is just a piece of 5/16 rod that holds the filter inverted, via a link, like a small chain and hook.

SeanD
01-31-2009, 09:56 PM
That looks very cool and heavy duty. I wasn't picturing something that size, but it makes sense if it is going to hold a bunch of syrup.

It might be easier to put an adjustable clamp where the hoop meets the pipe so that part is adjustable rather than raising and lowering the tank. I think as the receiving vessel gets heavy, you are going to want to keep it low or on the ground so the whole thing doesn't tip over.

Thanks for the pic.

Sean