PDA

View Full Version : replaceing tubing

howden86
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
I have a verbal lease on some woods with about 2100 taps. About 850 taps are on old tubing (15 years old) and 10-20 taps per line. The problem is the owner will not give me any idea on how much longer I can lease it. Would you spend the money to retap and take a chance with the high prices. My opinion right now is just keep repairing and take what I can get.. Your opinions please

thanks

brookledge
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Thats what I'd do. Until you can get a definate or atleast a better idea I wouldn't put in any capital into new tubing only to find you have to remove it.
Keith

peacemaker
01-29-2009, 10:53 PM
u have vac ?or gravity

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
You might be fixing up his woods for his benefit not yours. How well do you know him and how he has delt with others. I would use what you can and improve what you must and I will bet within a short time you will know the answer. I think you need to show trust and respect to get it back..Good luck

ennismaple
01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Unless you can get a 5 year committment to pay for the new tubing and make some profit from it I'd keep patching up the old stuff. No point spending money you can't recover.

Haynes Forest Products
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I started out helping out a fellow producer tap his woods. He was the one that got me intrested in the sport of syrup making. I started out just helping him tap and then repair.Then he gave me some extra sap and then I started adding new 5/16 that I supplied. The year I didnt have enough sap to fill my pans he shut down early and gave me the sap and told me I could suck out his 3X10 that he was done for the year. I contined helping and making plans for expansion he was 72 when he passed away. Next year his brother who owns the farm now gave me permission to tap the 20 acres AND use his evaporator and sap shack at no cost. So you never know what will happen when you enter into partnership with the unknown. Just dont invest more than you can stand to loose.

Buckeye mapler
01-31-2009, 12:31 AM
that there advice is what keeps my mind open at all times Haynes. always keep doors open. if you do and it dont work out, you did right by God. If it works out in your behalf, God noticed your good!! thats what i think. if you work that way you know going in it could be for physical benefit and it could be for the whole idea you just did good period. in the end if nothing else, most of the time you learned something form those you worked for.