PDA

View Full Version : Glad I did not tap

andrew martin
01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
I did not tap this year due to work still being busy, three children under 4 years old, and my wife taking graduate school courses. I miss it already, but I am glad I did not tap due to this ice storm.
Lexington/Wilmore area took a lashing from the storm, and we have trees down all over the place. I have yet to see the sugar bush, but gauging from what we have in town, I am sure the sugar bush will not be a pretty sight. THe trees will need some time to recover, and I will need the spring to clean up the mess. Glad it worked out for the best.

Andrew

turfman
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Andrew,

I understand you have leased your sugarbush. How did you and the landowner arrive at a price and were they apprehensive about potential damage to their trees, timber value reduction etc. I am in need of talking to other land owners for next year if I expand and wanted to know what to expect.

Second question?? How is the sugar maple distribution in your woodland areas in Central Ky? We seem to really be spotty on good concentrations of maple in most of our woods and have yet to see an entire monoculture of maples as I have heard about up north. Just curious.

Thanks,

Lee Blythe/Turfman

TapME
01-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Andrew, good to see you posting. keep in touch and take care of the little ones.

Russell Lampron
01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Andrew sorry to hear about the damage to your trees. Don't be in a hurry to cut them down though. Be careful cleaning up the mess and tap them next year. I was looking forward to reading about your syrup production this season and have been wondering why you hadn't posted anything yet. Keep us posted and ask anything that you need to know about which trees to save etc.

andrew martin
01-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I have not been in the woods yet, waiting until it is safe to do so. Hopefully all or most of the ice will be off the trees by Sunday, then all we can do is clean up and wait until next year.
These little ones are awesome. Our seven month old is starting to crawl....and getting into his brothers books and toys among other things.

Andrew

Homestead Maple
01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey Russ,
Didn't Tim Perkins from the Proctor Research Lab say that the trees they studied that went through an ice storm had recovered quite well after about 2 years? The crowns of these trees had maybe 50% damage?

TapME
01-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Andrew, they grow up quick and before you know it they will be helping in the wood and getting wood and all kinds of stuff. Enjoy them now and you will have memories forever. Lou, soon to have a 4th grandson.

Russell Lampron
01-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Jim he did say that. Did you grab one of the handouts that he had at the back of the room?

From the studies that they did after the 1998 ice storm they concluded that:

If the percent of branches lost was up to 25% there was no significant impact to the tree and to tap as usual.

From 25% to 50%. Little impact with quick recovery expected and to use conservative tapping guidelines.

From 50% to 75%. Growth and tap hole may be reduced by 25% or more. Usually ok to tap conservatively if trees are otherwise healthy.

From 75% to 100%, The risk of mortality increases. Tap hole closure may be reduced by 50%. Tapping not recommended.

100% branch loss. There is a high risk of mortality but survival is still possible. Go ahead and tap them or use for firewood.

bobsklarz
01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Good luck to you guy! I hear there are people down there who won't have electricity back till mid-February!! You'll be in our thoughts and prayers!

Homestead Maple
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Russ,
I didn't know that Tim brought any handouts with him that day. Was it announced? They are probably very informative coming from Proctor.

andrew martin
01-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Thankfully we have power, and the outages in Wilmore are sporadic. JUst need to be careful of people running generators in their basement or close to a window so they don't get CO poisoning. Otherwise we are good with just a lot of tree clean up to do around town. Took my 4 year old with me and helped clean off the church parking lot and sidewalks, then went and got hot chocolate and a rice krispie treat - life is good.

Andrew

Russell Lampron
02-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Bill he did announce it and I stupidly only took one. Now I have to make copies to give to my friends unless he left them for Don to take to regional meetings. Besides the tapping recommendations it also stated expected sap yields.

andrew martin
02-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I was able to get into the woods today once all the ice fell from the trees. THe damage was minimal to the maples - most trees having at least one broken branch, some did not have any. Seems that the red oaks and ash trees took the brunt of the storm. Lots of large oak and ash branches on the trails and roads. It will take a few long days to clean everything up, but I will have lots of firewood after the clean up.
It was great to be in the woods on such a nice day.

Andrew

mtcrumpit
02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Russ and other NH producers, if you get to go to your regional meeting Don had the handout with him along with some other handouts. good luck this year

Amber Gold
02-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Russ, could you make a copy of the paper? I didn't make the regional meeting this week due to project deadlines.