PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Layout question

nymapleguy607
01-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Ok I am realativly new at using vacuum but I have some basic understanding, but I want some other opinions on how I want to layout my releaser and tubing. First off I have A delaval 75 pump with a 1.5hp motor. My plans are to run the motor off of the electric in my shed then run a dryline to the releaser approx 300 feet down the hill. I plan on using 1" or 1 1/4" line to hook up the releaser. Know here is where things get complicated for me. I want to run one 1" mainline from my releaser 300 feet to pick up my taps. I want to use two sap ladder I think about 8' each to move the sap up from this low spot to my releaser there would be about 70 taps at the first ladder and maybe 100 total at the second. Would I be able to do this ??? Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks Jeff

nymapleguy607
01-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I should have added that I probly would have 150taps at most on this setup
Thanks Jeff

Haynes Forest Products
01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Thats about what Ill be doing. So I hope your right and the good thing is you will be doing it first so keep us posted.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
You should be able to accomplish this. Not too many taps so you should have lots of vacuum. Two 8 foot lifts using 2 stars at each one should work (1 star for up to 65 taps). If you don't have potential for many additional taps in the future you are probably safe with 1" pipe between the pump and the releaser. Make sure the system is tight and keep on top of all vacuum leaks.
My opinion at least.
Doug

nymapleguy607
01-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Doug thanks for the input. Does anyone know the cfm rating for a Delaval 75?
Thanks Jeff

maplwrks
01-29-2009, 07:24 PM
I may be wrong, but, I think a Delaval 75 is a 28 cfm pump

ennismaple
01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
I may be wrong, but, I think a Delaval 75 is a 28 cfm pump

Interesting... you're likely right but I was under the assumption that most pumps create 10 cfm for every HP. Maybe I'm underestimating my CFM's

brookledge
01-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Jeff
you should be able to do that with out a problem. One question though, since you are only talking 300 feet of mainline could you move the tank and the releaser to the lowest point? Then pump the sap out. The reason I ask is you could eliminate the sap ladders. sap ladders work good but only work with vac. So if for some reason you lose power or have a problem with your vac pump the mainline will not work. And if your tank is at the low point it will run by gravity.
Keith

nymapleguy607
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Keith,
If I absoulutly had to do it that way I would but the lowest point is back in the woods and I always tear it up pretty bad collecting.
the ladders will let me move the sap closer to a feild edge where it is more solid.

Haynes Forest Products
01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I have the same problem as NY maple after about 4 days of collectig I back down to the tank fill it and put the truck in drive and dont put your hands on the steering wheel just let it follow the ruts. Now that brings up a question . If the trees that you tap are on the rim of the woods and all the lines go to the lowest center point and you vac up ladders to a tank that is also on the top of the rim a little lower that the highest tree. Why if the vac pump quits and you have a tight system tree pressure wont push the sap into the tank. Maybe slow but it cant just quit.