PDA

View Full Version : Powder defoamer usage

briduhunt
01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I purchased a tub of powder defoamer last year and I never used this product before. My question is about what the proper use of this is as I just purchased a 2x6 Leader unit and I have never used defoamer before. I would like to know if I should mix it with water or just put in dry. Either way I would like to know the proper amount I should use.
Any help would be appreciated.

802maple
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I like the powdered defoamer, It just use a pinch of it between my finger and thumb and toss it in, some use it in a cup suspended inside the pan. I find it lasts much longer and it doesn't spoil.

I purchased a tub of powder defoamer last year and I never used this product before. My question is about what the proper use of this is as I just purchased a 2x6 Leader unit and I have never used defoamer before. I would like to know if I should mix it with water or just put in dry. Either way I would like to know the proper amount I should use.
Any help would be appreciated.

maplwrks
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I use the kosher defoamer--I apply it 2 ways:

1: I put it into a defoamer cup that hangs on the partion in the flue pan, near where the fresh concentrate comes into the pan. It holds approx. 1 tblsp. and is usually enough to make 60 gallons of syrup.

2: I put some in a salt shaker and keep it handy if I need to hit the syrup pan-usually the defoamer in the flue pan will keep the front pans flat.

I really like the defoamer cup. I fill it justb before hitting the burner. I don't need to worry about defoaming for most any boil that I have. The salt shaker will work if your flue pan is open also, I have a hood over my flue pan, and tend to lose a lot of hide reaching in there!!

michiganfarmer
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I use the powder defoamer. I take just a pinch, and sprinkle it where its needed.

Jeff E
01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Where do you find the dispensers?

I have not looked very hard for them, but I do not recall seeing them in catalogues.

ennismaple
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Anyone that sells the defoamer normally sells the cup. Neither the D&G nor the Leader catalogue has it but they most likely sell them.

maplehound
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I too use the powder defoamer. Like others have said I put some in a defoamer cup at the start of my boiling and often times it will do me for a couple days. Then I keep a small salt share near by that is filled with it and just shake some in whenever I need it. The only draw back to the salt shaker is that visitors to the sugar house think you are adding salt to the syrup, so you may need to explain what it is.