PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor help needed

Russell Lampron
01-28-2009, 06:03 AM
I have a 1.5hp GE capacitor start, capacitor run electric motor on my SP-22 vacuum pump. I want to change it over to 220 volts but the plate that would tell you how do so is missing. I haven't been able to find any information on the internet either. It has 2 lugs to attach the power to and the plate on it gives specs for 110/220 so I know that it can be done. Because of the second capacitor do I just change the plug and it's good to go or will that just let the smoke out of it and turn it into scrap?

royalmaple
01-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Russ, you'll have to open up the plate and pair up the windings differently. I imagine there is 8 wires in there paired up differently.

1 - hot
6,8- hot

Something like that.

KenWP
01-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I run a hog operation and the plates with directions rust away or disapear all the time. I have had to find a new motor in town to check the directions many times untill I had a list of all the different ways each brand of motor could be wired.

Russell Lampron
01-28-2009, 07:28 AM
This motor is different than others that I have worked with. The wires are screwed to a terminal block, not mated and secured with a wire nut. It is old enough so that the wires are covered with braided cloth. I am going to clean it up and see if I can see any color differences or numbers to work with.

WMF
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Russ, ask the guys on this forum theres some real motor experts on there and this same question has been asked before about other motors with good answers.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Russell Lampron
01-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Thank you WMF I'll give that a try.

lpakiz
01-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I would bet there is a electric motor re-winder somewhere around you. We had one here in town who would hook his meter to different leads and re-connect in the configuration you wanted. I suspect he would have done it for about a quart of syrup....