PDA

View Full Version : Tools of the trade

Buckeye mapler
01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I can expect my wife will ask what I will want for my Birthday and this year I plan to tell her the samething I ask for every year, a tool. But this year I am thinking a tubing tool. Which tubing tools are absolute necessities and which can wait. I am cluless as to which are which. Some advice here will help me make a good choice on my first tubing tool. If possible, pics or references i.e. part #'s would be helpful as well. Thanks for any help in advance!

caseyssugarshack93
01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
2 handed tubing tool for sure is a must

Flat47
01-27-2009, 06:23 PM
x2...a two-handed tubing tool

from www.LeaderEvaporator.com

That's the deluxe version and it's worth it (although I look for one used...they're listed at $340).
It has the tubing clamps at the tips of the tool, not in the middle...much easier to use.

caseyssugarshack93
01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Go to lapierre pay 230 for the same one
thats what i did although i love leader.

3% Solution
01-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Yup I vote for the two handed tool,
Saves on the dentist bill!!!
It's well worth it!!

Clan Delaney
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Yup I vote for the two handed tool,
Saves on the dentist bill!!!
It's well worth it!!
I'm almost scared to ask what part of the tubing installation is being served by your teeth! Haha. Me, I use mine to strip wire. It's like they were made for it!

3% Solution
01-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Clan, what is the matter with you, stripping wire with your teeth!!!!!
Ok here's the story;
Back a few years ago I was too, ahh, well, ahh, cheap to buy the tool.
So, I would knaw on the tubing to soften it up so I could slide it onto the fittings.
Well, pop there goes a filling, out of the front, now I look like Jethro!!!!
Well, the tool cost $195 and I could have been ahead of the game by $15!!!!!
Now, I have a new filling and a new tool!!!!!!
Smart move hey!!!

Dave

dano2840
01-27-2009, 07:59 PM
2 HANDED TOOL NOT 1 HANDED, ITS WELL WORTH THE EXTRA $ I HAVE BOTH, 2 HANDED IS HANDS DOWN (no pun intended) THE BEST SLICKEST PIECE OF TUBING INSTALLATION TOOL I HAVE EVER USED, DELUXE VERSION IS REALLY 10X BETTER, BEST INVESTMENT EVER, WELL WORTH IT, ONCE YOU GET IT YOU WILL WONDER WHAT YOU WERE THINKING "oh its to much money" YOU WILL THINK YOU WERE A LOON TO EVEN THINK SUCH A THING!!!!!!!! AMAZING PIECE OF EQUIPMENT WEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL WORRRRRTTTTHHHH ITTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Buckeye mapler
01-27-2009, 09:59 PM
wow, it is pretty clear which tool stands out. when i posted this thread, i thought i might get a few suggestions with different opinions, but to have an overhwelming vote for one makes it as easy as...... well as easy as this tool you all have recommended will make installing my tubing!!!!! Thanks for the recommendation!

brookledge
01-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Now all you need to do is convince your wife it's the tool to get you.
Keith

Clan Delaney
01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
wow, it is pretty clear which tool stands out. when i posted this thread, i thought i might get a few suggestions with different opinions, but to have an overhwelming vote for one makes it as easy as...... well as easy as this tool you all have recommended will make installing my tubing!!!!! Thanks for the recommendation!

Admit it... it was dano's ALL CAPS that put you over the top! :D

Buckeye mapler
01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I dunno clan, it might have been the caps or a combo, the caps plus he was the last to post! it kind of CAPped it off??? my wife (and I) have been doing overtime to get this all started. she never doubted this was a third income for us, but I have actually seen some interest from her in this mapling thing and she would have encouraged me to check with you all on what tool to buy. she understands now that convenience cost, and although the dental coverage is there and she would love me as a toothless maple guy anyways, I think a couple hundred dollars for a tool will pay for itself in dental bills in no time (plus I get to keep the teeth). I am just fortunate like that, she is behind me 100% on this. On the other hand, if she thought the old teeth weren't getting enough use, well, I would still have one hand free when I started installing my tubing?! :rolleyes:

Russell Lampron
01-28-2009, 05:36 AM
I take it that DanO finally figured out how to use his. He was ready to do some modifications to it or worse when he first got it.

For a small operation you don't need the super deluxe model but it sure is nice. Get a less expensive version and a 1 handed tool for the same money!

dano2840
01-28-2009, 12:10 PM
no she still slipps on the older lamb tubing but i heat it until its warm (not hot) and it works fine, i tried it on new tubing the other day and it worked perfect w/ out heat, on its own, no useing the spreader either,
even with it sliping on the older lamb stuff it is still ALLLLOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT faster

Jeff E
01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree, tool #1 is the 2 handed tool for working with all things 5/16"s.
Fortunately I got mine the same day I got my first tubing, so I was never without it.

The next piece if you are installing mainline is the mainline tool for putting in couplings/fittings.

I fought through about 1000 taps worth of mainline and wet/dry line installation, and got some tendonitis, and got to the point where I couldn't push the stuff together, couldn't hoist my kids, etc.

I got the mainline tool, and I have been working through the winter, pushing fittings into 3/4 and 1" without a bit of problem, even in sub zero temps.

My vote for number 2.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Never used a deluxe 2 handed tubing tool but I have a regular 1 and 2 handed tools and I agree that unless you have a big operation, I don't see the need for a deluxe 2 handed tool. I wouldn't be without either one of them, especially for repairs.

Flat47
01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Take a look at different tubing tools. Some have the tubing clamps up on the tip of the tool, while some have the clamps lower towards the middle of the tool. I've used both and the clamps up high is the best by far. When using the type with the clamps in the middle, the tip of the tool gets in the way, especially when working on drops and doing repairs near trees. Plus, there's only one pivot on the deluxe. On models that are shaped like an upside-down U (like some with the clamps in the middle) , there are 2 pivots, and that always causes me problems. Pronlems like the two ends of tubing (in the clamps) not lining up and kinking the tubing and or fitting as I try to press them together. Sometimes the tool "over opens" and sticks open, requiring a thump against a tree to free it. Maybe it's worn out...But I still say the deluxe is woth it.

Here's the thorn in my side:

mapleack
01-28-2009, 07:34 PM
If it won't break the bank, buy the deluxe two handed tool. I've got the original plain two handed and the deluxe one. When two of us go to the woods we fight over who gets the deluxe. Its well worth the extra money, but shop around for the best deal.

Russell Lampron
01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
My two handed tool isn't the deluxe one and it isn't like Flat47's either. I can see where that one would be a pain to use.

caseyssugarshack93
01-28-2009, 07:45 PM
russ do you have the paralell movment one just like the deluxe just without the auto tension vice grips ?

TapME
01-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I found this one at a friends house and we are making a copy to do our tubing. Does yours look like this Russ? I just looked at flats47's and this one is like his.

sapman
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
I've got the Prunos, which is the deluxe in most catalogs, I think. I've seen Chamberland listed, at a little lower price. Pretty similar, I think, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Tim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I have the one identical to the one flat posted the picture of earlier and it does a great job. It is a little tough if the line is very tight and wrapping around a tree, but it still works. I have a bunch of electrical tape on the handle part and it makes a nice grip!

sapman
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I used a friend's tool like flat's last year to do about 100 taps. It worked well, but was a bit of trouble installing the drops right against the tree as you say Brandon. My new tool makes that job a LOT easier.

Tim

Buckeye mapler
02-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you to all who gave their advice and experience.

tapper
02-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Go for a tubing trifecta....get the 2 handed tool the 1 handed tool [which actually takes 3 hands] and a tubing spinner and you are alll set!!!