PDA

View Full Version : What a Deal ?

mapleman3
01-27-2009, 01:05 PM
The other day I told My 16yr old daughter I would think about buying her a small pickup! but for a price!! I'd throw a tank in it during sugaring for her to collect with when available.... Oh and it only can hold a couple friends... much less of a party that way( I didn't tell her that)

What a deal... how can she pass it up!!!! ;)

Brent
01-27-2009, 01:58 PM
better tell her that it is well document in the insurance business that for every time you add a teen age passenger to a car with a teen age drive you DOUBLE the chances she will have an accident and that it will be a more serious accident.

The first year my daughter drove I didctated that she drove alone. She was reeealy p**** with me. A few years later, after some of here friends had had bad crashes, she thanked me ... got through the first years without bending a fender too.

If you watch the news you will notice it "Tonight 3 teenagers are in hospital after......"

Grade "A"
01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
sounds like you can write the truck off for taxes also. As a side note I think it is a law here in Vt. that a teen can not drive with other teens in the car.

michiganfarmer
01-27-2009, 03:08 PM
better tell her that it is well document in the insurance business that for every time you add a teen age passenger to a car with a teen age drive you DOUBLE the chances she will have an accident and that it will be a more serious accident.

The first year my daughter drove I didctated that she drove alone. She was reeealy p**** with me. A few years later, after some of here friends had had bad crashes, she thanked me ... got through the first years without bending a fender too.

If you watch the news you will notice it "Tonight 3 teenagers are in hospital after......"

when I started driving in the 80s, dad did the same to me. No one was allowed to be with me. I think its a good idea.

Brent
01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
In the last year we lost 5 kids coming home from a hockey practice and 4 young girls in another. Lost lost.

The Ontario Gov tried to pass this into law but caved in to a public opinion on Facebook. That will cost us more kids. F^^%$# politics

Haynes Forest Products
01-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Back in the 1900s my mom would'nt let me get my license till I was 17 God call I did make up for lost time how much trouble can you get in with a 67 VW...................................A LOT one ticket you lose your license 30 days...Yup 3 tickets 90 days.........Yup 3 more 1 year...Yup Im a slow learner back in the 1900s

maple flats
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I think 17 is a much better age to start than 16. I got my license and first car when I was 17(I bought a 7 yr old 57 chevy with money I earned working for our church, and working for my dad's trucking company preparing top soil for sale. I have never had a moving violation ticket in my life) All 4 of my kids also started at 17 or later and they were responsible drivers. I feel the most important thing is that they show respect, for others, parents, and everyone on the road. Teens who do will be safer drivers. If they are on the wild side I think they should have to wait longer.

3% Solution
01-27-2009, 06:53 PM
mapleman3,
Best of luck to you getting sap gathered!!!!

Dave

Clan Delaney
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, definitely go with something that only has the front seat that only safely belts one other passenger.

I was just going to say, "lay down those rules!" but then I thought, try this... ask her to write up a set of rules to abide by. It's easy for the parents to dictate rules and hope their kids listen to them. If she has to write them up and present them to you, then at least you know she's given them some consideration.

Oh, and NO TEXT MESSAGING WHILE DRIVING!!! EVER! It is hands down the most distracting thing you can do while driving short of just closing your eyes.

dano2840
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
the only prob. with the "less friends" part, well i dont know if its like that in ny but in VT if you have your truck cab full 3 ppl w/ seat belts on, you can put as many people in the bed of your truck as you want legally, w/ a sap tank that might be a little hard, make sure she doesnt over load it,
i will be in the market for a truck this summer, once cash starts coming in, it is going to a truck first then sugaring, 2500 w/ a plow is what i want,

dano2840
01-27-2009, 07:30 PM
IVE HAD MY LICENCE SINCE FRIDAY!, no tickets,..................yet not that im intending on getting any, i got off thinking about sugaring driving home and was doing 60 in a 50 when i looked down, was paying attn to the road but hadnt thought to look down in a few min until i did and was like WHOA there nelly

mapleman3
01-27-2009, 08:02 PM
No, not allowed here to have anyone in the bed of the truck....

3% , thanks we'll get the sap collected one way or another,

Russell Lampron
01-28-2009, 05:09 AM
Jim put the tank in the truck, fill it about half full of water and go driving with her so that she can learn how to handle it when the water starts sloshing around. Braking and corners aren't as easy with the load shifting.

When my kids got old enough to drive they didn't get a vehicle until they could pay for it themselves. It makes them respect it more than if mommy and daddy just give it to them.

mapleman3
01-28-2009, 06:20 AM
If... and I say IF it does happen, you can be sure that I will do that. She's not ready for this season, so who knows she may end up being too busy next...

I won't put in more that a 125 tank... even that may be more than I want in there... just the fact that she would be helping(some) will justify me getting her a truck....I do dread what everyone knows that kids like to goof around... Heck I know I did thats for sure:p

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Jim,

Put a little trailer behind the Oddessy this year for the wife and kids on the way home!