PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the trees?

Clan Delaney
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I found this interesting resource (http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/) on the USGS website. It will show you the a map of the US and Canada, and a green shaded region that represents the range of any species of tree on that list.

I thought the map for sugar maples (http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/acersacr.pdf) was surprising. I didn't know how little they range into Canada, compared to their range in the US. And Canada still kicks our butts in production! And according to that map, we should have members checking in from Tennessee, and from three tiny outposts in Georgia!

gator330
01-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Were they range into Canada there are trees! Lots and lots of them! Here within there range there are lots of parking lots, yards, houseing tracks, wal-marts and lowes that don't have enough honda pumps!!! With a tree or two around them.

ennismaple
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm surprised they range that far north in Ontario. I remember hearing that most of the maple bushes in Quebec are within 50 or 100 miles of the St Lawrence River.

KenWP
01-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I find the maps deceptive as to the area they show. Having drove thru the sugar maple area of Canada several times its a huge area. There is miles upon miles of trees with no people . If you go East of Ayer's Cliff a bit you run into some pretty wild country with whole sections upon sections of dense trees. Right behind my place there is a peice of forest that has a few deer stands and trails and lots of maples that have never been touched yet.Its probbably a half mile wide and 3 miles long with no fences at all.

tessiersfarm
01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't think gorgia gets enough freezing weather to supply useful amount of sap, don't know about tennessee.

220 maple
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
That map is very generous in some areas, it probably needs up dated, for example the Virginia county Rockingham that borders West Virginia may at best have 10 miles of Sugar Maple habitat. Beyond that they were planted.
I have places on my land in West Virginia that they don't grow, south facing ridges for example. Not much moisture and to hot in the summer. My Amish equipment dealer has relatives in Tenn. that make syrup, they also use their evaporator to make molasses. Their season at best would be very short, probably over by the first of March.

Mark 220 Maple