PDA

View Full Version : Using Filter Presses

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
post edited

themapleking
09-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Sounds like we both went to the same filter press class. I've had some assback plates too. Doing to much at one time.
I like to keep all 8 plates running, more filtering. I'll run hot water from the preheater through it and dump everything back into the syrup pan. Can't waste any of that gold. I also keep a heat lamp on the plates to keep'em warm between batches, and also heat them up before the days first batch. As we know cold plates don't filter good. And colder papers with aid suck to them well you know. Always clean it everyday when done.
Last year I had a ton of sand witch was pluging the papers fast. So I dew off threw paper prefilter liners. Than through the press when I had a full tank. That help get more live out of the filter papers.

brookledge
09-27-2004, 09:18 PM
I almost always run all I can get through it at once I have a 7" grimm that I built from parts for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I also know that you can get 50-60 gallons through a complete one which is why I only built mine with 3 plates and it works good for me. I get about 15-20 gallons through at a time. I have a 16X24 pan that hold about 20 gallons so I heat and run all of it through at a time. This way I don't have to worry about keeping the plates hot. The only time I run a smaller batch through is if the grade changes. I mix in the filter aid into the whole batch and also start the batch by adding extra filter aid in a pail with about a gallon this seams to help by making the beginning a little more spongier.

One other thing that I have done that works great is made a pre filter out of a large cake pan. I cut the bottom out, and bought a sheet of stainless steel wire cloth from McMaster -Carr I believe I got the 40X40 size. which takes out some of the sugar sand and also saves on the pump from having all that gritt going through the gears. A 12"X12" sheet is about $ 5-10. so its not expensive. If I were to make another one I might try 50X50 or 60X60 just don't know how fine you can go before the syrup won't go through. It is also very easy to clean up.

Dropflue
09-28-2004, 11:39 AM
I bought a filter press last season. I ended up filtering all my syrup at the same time each night. I did thought I would be able to filter in "batches" as the finished syrup was coming off the evaporator. However, the papers & plates would cool down quick between draw offs and plug the press, even if I filtered only 4-5 gallons. When I start the press, the first few seconds of filtered syrup is cloudy. I let this syrup recirculate, when it appears clear though the tubing I transfer the hose to the bottling pan.
I mix my filter aid directly in the syrup.
D&G says you can mix water and filter aid to coat the papers and plates, I don't trust this method only cause I dont want to take the chance of diluting the syrup.

Dropflue
1-gasfired D&G 2x6 dropflue

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-28-2004, 02:46 PM
post edited