PDA

View Full Version : Saddle connections

DaveB
01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm finishing converting my tubing system from 5/16 lines to the more traditional laterals connecting to a mainline and I'm wondering how I approach making the connection from the lateral line to the saddle connector. I have the lateral line coming into my mainline with a hook connector and then I know I use a small piece of tubing to connect from the hook connector to the saddle and I'm wondering what the proper sequence is to connect them.

Do I connect the short piece of tubing to the hook connector first or the saddle first? How do I get the tube on the saddle without damaging it? Manually or do I use a tool? I have the two handed tool...

As always, I appreciate the help...

Dave

Russell Lampron
01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
I hook my lateral to the mainline first. I run all of my laterals and hook all of them to the mainline wire. Then I install the manifolds on the mainline and connect the 5/16 to the manifold.

With the semi rigid IPL tubing that I am using I have found that if I hold the end of the tubing in my hand to warm it a little bit and wet the fitting on the manifold I can push the tubing all of the way on by hand. The manifolds that I am using aren't easy to use a tool on.

adk1
05-18-2011, 06:14 PM
THATS what I plan on doing. add the hooked connector to the tubing. then hook it on the wire within 8" or so of where I will install the saddle. then I will run the lateral fromt tree to tree until I reach the end tree. then swing it around and add my endline fitting pulling everything tight. then I will go on to the next. When all of the lats are run, I will go back through and install the saddles, then finally attach the hooked connector to the saddle with the appropriate length of tubing.

3rdgen.maple
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Trash the hook conectors and get slide fittings. They are slcik. No need to cut and splice in a hook connector. Just slip it over your lateral slide the top of it on and hook to the mainline. It also allows you to retention your lats without any cutting or splicing again.

lpakiz
05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Yep, wish I had known about the slide connectors before I did my tubing.
I used the hook connectors and automatically added 2 more potential leaks to each lateral.

adk1
05-19-2011, 09:06 AM
can I buy the slide connectors from Leader?

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-19-2011, 09:25 AM
I get mine at LaPierre or D&G.

adk1
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
question though, I plan on using the Leader end ring. Cant that also be used to apply tension to the lat? But I must admit, not having to cut in a hooked connector in the line would be nice! I will buy them. good tip!

3rdgen.maple
05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes but like I said less connections that will leak and its easier to justwalk a mainline and tension where needed than walking to all the trees. Im not lazy just like to work smarter.

vtmapleman
05-19-2011, 11:02 AM
End rings are nice to quickly tighten your laterals; however, remember with the end ring the sap needs to go back up around the tree with the end ring and then down your lateral to the mainline. I have used forks, end rings and tees on the end of the lateral. For me the use of a fork is much better as my trees average 20" plus in diameter and I can keep all my laterals in the 30" range. Also since I wash my lines with water/air both sides of the tubing on the end tree is washed. It does take me a little longer to tighten the laterals; however for me it is worth the time.

adk1
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
If you would like to use the slide fitting at the end tree, do you also need to buy the "Hook for slide Fitting" as well? I would assume that this seperate hook hooks to the 5/16" lat line.

3rdgen.maple
05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Yes you would need to purchase the hook for them. The hook that is on the bottom of the slide is manufactured in the plastic and is just big enought for the mainline wire to attach to it. Personally I wouldnt use them at both ends. Just the mainline.

adk1
05-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I was watching the video on LaPierre site of a guy using them at both ends. Looked really slick. No need to cut in the line at the end. Why woudlnt you want to use one at the end tree, jsut curious as I have never seen these in operation yet.

3rdgen.maple
05-19-2011, 11:26 AM
If you take down your lats every year then probably makes sense. But I leave mine up year round so i just use a fork. The slide would allow less possible leaks though. Hmmmmm quit making me think so much on a thursday will you.lol

red maples
05-19-2011, 11:32 AM
I used the hollow braid rope on some of my lateral on the last tree this year I wanted to try it and I love it no connections you can tighten it take it down what ever. And you don't get that sap bubble that sits in the flat spot around the tree and its super Cheap. I might skip the end line slides and just use them for the mainline wire connection.

Also I run laterals connect them to the wire with the end line slide and then put in the saddles and connect it.

adk1
05-19-2011, 11:34 AM
that was a great point about using a slide fitting at the end tree and not being able to replace the drop. (contamination) and here I thought I had it figured out and you throw that in there. Hmmmmmm

Anyone out there use the slide fitting at the end tree? Concerns about not being able to replace a drop and contamination?

3rdgen.maple
05-19-2011, 11:45 AM
adk1 how many are reading this and thinking "great point I didnt think about that" It was in a pm guys lol

Hey red do you care to explain your setup with the hollow core rope? DO you have a tap on the end of the line or do you plug the line and then cut in your drops?

adk1
05-19-2011, 11:48 AM
adk1 how many are reading this and thinking "great point I didnt think about that" It was in a pm guys lol

Hey red do you care to explain your setup with the hollow core rope? DO you have a tap on the end of the line or do you plug the line and then cut in your drops?

Good point there, but guys, he did have a great comment!

3rdgen.maple
05-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I just dont get the concept if you want to replace your drops later. Eventually your going to need to cut them in. So in reality the slide fitting at the tree or an end line ring is a great concept until you want to replace the drop lines right? Or am I missing something here. I have found that with the fork at the tree as long as the tubing on the backside of the tree is sloped downword towards the fork or Y there is no bubble in the line on the backside of the tree. Why in the world must you guys get me thinking or rethinking all the time about tubing and fittings. We take such a simple concept and beat it to heck lol.

adk1
05-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Yup, you dont need a drop and that is the point or to cut in a fitting at all. I think it is slick and my only concern is contamination but like I said, I will be using the CV adapters from day 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y3KPIvlyZc&feature=player_embedded