PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steal vac tank

wilson maple
01-24-2009, 08:52 PM
I have found a 600 gallon stainless steal vac tank that was used for a milk tank. I was wondering if i could put my sap line directly into the tank and hook vac to the tank and eliminate the sap extractor. It seems like the tank would act just like a big extractor plus I would have storage at the same time. Can you guys help me out?

caseyssugarshack93
01-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Yes u can hook ur mainline to the tank and hook the vac to it just like how it was used in milking.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-25-2009, 04:34 AM
This is a common and simple way to have a vacuum system without the extractor. These tanks are often hard to come by so if you get the opportunity, go for it!

Haynes Forest Products
01-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Wilson Maple Just make sure its a vacuum tank. There has been alot of discussion on this subject. Most milk tanks could only handle low vacuum so do your home work on your tank.

maplecrest
01-25-2009, 12:19 PM
if it is a vac tank it will say it on its front. zero tanks are marked vac and non vac. zero tanks will take high vac. sunset tanks are made for 18 inches. on the top of the tank are your holes for dip stick, milk to go in , mixer ect.on my sunset before higher vac i had the sap comming in the dip stick hole, welded a connector to a cover for vac. took the mixer off and put the dip stick down that hole with a float switch to turn the sap pump on when the sap reached a level to pump in to the storage tank. i used a pump from a milk receiving jar for that. worked great. only problem i had was sap seems to heat up in a vac tank.and with out a pump you need to watch it. if it fills and floods you vac pump