PDA

View Full Version : vacuum oil

mapletbdf
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
what type of oil do you use in a vacuum pump for a flood system and where do you tap a vain pump for cooling.

Haynes Forest Products
01-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Depending the type of pump and the degree of vacuum your going to try for. I would use a good vacuum pump oil. The old dairy pumps ran at slow RPMs and low vac didnt need alot of oil. As vac goes up so does the need for more oil and better oil. My DeLaval oiled on the end cap and threw the hollow shaft onto the vanes and to the ball bearings on the pully side. My massport oiled threw the bearing on both sides and spun out onto the cylinder sides.
I changed my system to a flood type. oil is sucked into the intake side of the pump and into the bearing caps. Whats nice is the higher the vacuum the more oil floods in. I recycle about 1 quart per min and that oil goes to a reclaimer down to a 5 gallon storage tank threw a oil cooler and back to the pump.

mountainvan
01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I use the vacuum oil from tractor supply on my three pumps. Two have oilers on each side and the intake, one has an oiler on the intake. All three are setup as flood with the original reclaimer set to the side.

dano2840
01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
could some one post pics of the diff. kind of pumps I.e. vane pump, i have no idea what mine is

Haynes Forest Products
01-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Well if its round with a shaft running threw it its a vane pump. If the oil resevoir is small its not a flood type. Put up a picture