PDA

View Full Version : shelter your vac pump?

backyardsugarer
01-24-2009, 04:03 PM
For those of you with remote outdoor locations; do any of you build a shelter to keep rain/snow off them or will that not hurt the units?

Chris

maplehound
01-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a lock box in the woods that I keep the vacuum pump and the generator in. it si only about 3' high and 8' long and 3' deep. It has 2 doors on the front and a sloping shingled roof. This all sets on cement blocks to keep it off the ground. Once I set in place, I just leave it there.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Definitely you should keep the pumps etc. covered. I set one up just as season started last year and built a platform on skids for it to sit on (6ftx10ft). When the pump was not operating, I covered it with a blue plastic tarp. As soon as things slowed down after season, I added 2x4 studs, 3 walls and a shed style roof to protect everything from the weather. I added a second pump this year and have that housed in an 8x16 building. The extra area is used for storage of equipment during the off season. The building has large windows and a door on each end that I leave open when the gas engine is running to prevent the buildup of fumes.
Doug

brookledge
01-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes
Mine are in areas unlikely to be stolen so I have one that stands alone that has 3 walls and 1 open wall to keep it cool. And my other one has two open sides.
Keith

mountainvan
01-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Mine are very simple. A piece of metal roofing and some 2x4's. Sides are open, just a roof to keep out the rain. I bring the pumps and shelters back to the saphouse when the season ends. If the weather turns bad, ie snow, I cover everything with a tarp. I do not leave a gas can by the pumps, that someone might walk off with easily.