PDA

View Full Version : changing paper filters

Thesoz
01-23-2009, 03:44 PM
having a problem with changing out paper filters without making a BIG mess. I suspended my cloth filter with paper filter inside over a SS pan, can't seem to figure out how to pull the paper filter when it gets dirty. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Sure could use some advice. 20 taps, 2nd year

Thanks

brookledge
01-23-2009, 07:38 PM
When I use to use a cone filter I would only put in about what Iknew would go through the pre filter. That way only a small amount was left in it. I would sometimes hold the bottom up so that the remaining bit could filter through a section that wasn't plugged up. Sometimes when it gets so bad just pull it up and pour it into another pre filter.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I agree with brookledge Small amounts. I also had that problem and thought that a full filter caused slower filtering. Maybe to much pressure.

Russell Lampron
01-24-2009, 05:06 AM
having a problem with changing out paper filters without making a BIG mess. I suspended my cloth filter with paper filter inside over a SS pan, can't seem to figure out how to pull the paper filter when it gets dirty. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Sure could use some advice. 20 taps, 2nd year

Thanks

Are you putting your paper over the cloth? The paper filter should be on top of the cloth if you're not. Are you using a flat filter or a cone?

I use a flat filter and put 3 or 4 papers on top of my cloth filter. As the top one gets plugged I remove it and let the unfiltered syrup pour/drip onto the one below it.

Grade "A"
01-24-2009, 08:21 AM
do any of you put 1 paper filter after the wool filter so you don't get the little wool fibers in the syrup. I run 3 paper pre-filter, wool filter and then 1 more paper filter. When my paper pre-filter plugs I pull it out and have 2 more paper filters under it. I also filter right off the evaporator so it is as hot as it can be. Seems to work for me and goes through fast with no mess.

Sweber
01-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree with Grade A. I do things a bit differently though. One "wool" filter with two or three thin paper filters inside of that.Dump one into the next when it stops filtering(too plugged up). Now here is the important part: Make sure your filters are damp. They don't work as well when they are dry. At least mine don't.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Even the wool filter needs to be wet and it will work a lot better along with the paper filters.

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2009, 12:30 PM
This is the problem i had with the wool filter. How the heck do you clean them?
I used to turn them inside out and rinse them off and fill the NOW outside in with clear water and then put in the Ringer washing machine and rinse and clean, wash and rinse hang and drip dry shake and wash and rinse and I never felt like I wasnt putting sedement back into the clean or hopefuly clean syrup. So I threw the filters in the fire sold the washing machine and got a filter press and lived happily ever after (I THINK)

Thesoz
01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
What I did last year was to put 3 paper cone filters inside of the wool cone filter and suspend over a urn style coffee pot. What do you use to wet the filters? water or syrup. Also I used boiling water with the wool filter turned inside out to clean, seemed to work ok

brookledge
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
The Oz
Wet your filters with water then squeeze them out. Just don't twist them or wring them out or you can tear the fibers causing a week spot in the filter which on turn will let solids through.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I usually ran mine thru the washer a couple of times and air dried them. Don't use hot water on wool as it might shrink them. The best purchase I ever made was the filter press, you just can't beat it and the best thing I like about it is that your hands are not in contact with the syrup or the filters at all once the syrup starts thru. 15 gallons of syrup in less than 5 minutes filtered with 8 paper filters and a little filter aid, you just can't beat it. Not feasible for someone making 30 gallons, but someone making 50 to 100 or more per year, it can't be beat and syrup is sparkling clear and cleanup is a breeze.

Pete33Vt
01-25-2009, 03:59 AM
When we used flat filters, to wet them we hung them over the back pan and let the steam wet them and open the fibers. We also washed them by hand, and sent them through the ringer part to get all the water out.

Chad802
01-25-2009, 04:18 AM
When I used the felt filters I used only one paper filter inside worked good for about three to four gallons then had to change. Filter press was one of the best investments I ever made for sugaring.