PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump regulator

dano2840
01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Wondering if i need a regulator on my pump, i talked to the previous owner at the maple school and he said it pulled 18" on i think 750 taps, im going to have it on 400 taps, do i need one whats the point of having one if im not pulling any more than 20"?

maplwrks
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
The regulator will help maintain the 20" and to keep the pump cool by letting in air if it goes higher than 20"

ennismaple
01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Get the regulator. Our new flood oil pump kept overheating and shutting down until we put in the regulator.

mountainvan
01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
If the sap stops flowing and the pump is still running it will burn up without a regulator. I have mine set at 19 inches of vacuum. When the saps flowing no air is pulled through my regulators, but a quick freeze and it opens up and lets air into the pump.

Haynes Forest Products
01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I designed my unit to flood more oil into the system as the vacuum increases.
I would do whats best for your system.............with that disclaimer keep in mind that some tanks will withstand some vacuum but not TOTAL vacuum so be aware of what your system will tolerate. I cranked down the vac reg on a square SS tank that was not a vac tank and all worked well till I applied TIM THE TOOL MAN TAYLORS moto of more power. I sucked in the side and it became a 3 legged tank so Think about the system first. If the only reason to have a regulator is because of heat then do it. I have a Gast vane pump and the manf. said it can run 24/7 without airflow as long as there is out side air movement to cool the pump and motor.

dano2840
01-23-2009, 04:26 PM
the only thing is that they are like $80 and ive spent just about all ive got, im borrowing money to buy the releaser at the barre farm show next week as it is, i will be shutting my pump down before i leave the tank at probably 4 every day, unless the ppl who own the land the tanks on volonteer to shut er down for me, i think they will be the ones to turn the thing on for me any way.

Russell Lampron
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Dano,

This is what you need http://www.partsdeptonline.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=117&cart_id=7760217.20769&exact_match=on for a vacuum regulator. It only took me a few seconds to find it by using the search button on right side of the tool bar next to new post.

dano2840
01-23-2009, 05:01 PM
at 20$ i will buy it, thank you very much

caseyssugarshack93
01-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I think ill be getting one too Thanks russ :D

Grade "A"
01-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Thats the same one I have and it works great for my dairy pump. Very easy to adjust also.

Seguin Sugarbush
01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Dano ,here is a cheap regulator for ya,just put a gate valve on your vaccum tank and open or close to adjust your vac.where you want it.Worst case is if you get a vac loss some where your vac will be lower than 18 in. but you will still have a pump that still works .
Dan Seguin

brookledge
01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
It is very important as the others have said to have a regulator. It will definately pay for itself in the extra sap you get or keep your pump from overheating. Many times when someone puts a valve in line and leaves it open a bit to achieve the amount of vacuum they want it will work ok at that moment but as the temps warm up more and the volume of sap increases the vac will drop and in turn you will lose some sap since you no longer have as much vac.
Keith

jrthe3
01-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Dano,

This is what you need http://www.partsdeptonline.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=117&cart_id=7760217.20769&exact_match=on for a vacuum regulator. It only took me a few seconds to find it by using the search button on right side of the tool bar next to new post.

does any one know what the cfm rating is on this reg i will have around 35 cfm with either vac pump i go with

maplwrks
01-23-2009, 08:44 PM
It does matter about the cfms---The regulators work on "of vacuum. You need to set them to the level you want

Grade "A"
01-24-2009, 08:02 AM
does any one know what the cfm rating is on this reg i will have around 35 cfm with either vac pump i go with

I can't find any info on the cfm's. I got 2 for my Delaval 73 but found out 1 was more than enough. The will let alot of air through when you push the top down, thats what I do when I shut off the vacuum to stop the pump from turning backwards.

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Grade A I had the same backflow problem because I didnt have a check valve to stop the air from being sucked threw the vacuum pump. I have one now between the releaser and the vacuum regulator. You can suck oil into the releaser and contaminate the whole works with oil.

Grade "A"
01-24-2009, 11:51 AM
I should have a chech valve on it, that would be the best way to solve the problem. Your right, sucking oil back into the releaser would make a big mess.

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Anytime your kids say Hey dad look at all those cool colors in the tank and its not fall leafs its sap dump time. I belive it was the GOV. that set me stright

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Anytime your kids say HEY DAD look at all those cool colors in the tank and its not fall leafs its sap dump time. I belive it was the GOV. that set me stright

brookledge
01-24-2009, 06:52 PM
As far as the question of the regulator being big enough. Try one and plug your vacuum line going to your releaser off. If it maintains the vac then the regulator is big enough if it isn't big enough then put a second one on with a tee. Buying a couple is still cheaper than one for 75 or more.
Keith

Russell Lampron
01-25-2009, 05:33 AM
jrthe3: Go back to http://www.partsdeptonline.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=117&cart_id=7760217.20769&exact_match=on and click on "Back to index" in the upper right corner of the page under the Search box. Click on Vacuum Controllers/Regulators, It gives a list of other regulators for larger pumps.

Grade A: Install a check valve for when you shut the pump off. If you are not there and have a power failure the regulator won't push itself down to keep the pump from turning backwards and or sucking oil back into your mainline.

Grade "A"
01-25-2009, 10:39 AM
The check valve is added to my "to-do" list. A small price to pay to do it the right way.