PDA

View Full Version : Galvinized tanks

Al
09-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Looks like I'm going to go with a galvanized tank for my sap storage for the following reasons: 1) I can move it by myself since my work force has about 10 years to grow. 2) The shape. It will fit under the eves of my sugarhouse. 3) Price. Since I need something right now!!
Now for the questions. How do you keep the sap from freezing every night? Will a heat lamp work or a stock tank heater? Any suggestions appreciated. :D Had problems with my plastic tanks also but didn't want to put to much heat in them. Now with metal I should be O.K.
Did a search but was unable to find this subject. I apoligize if this is a redundent subject.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Al,

If you can get some of the sap to freeze in the tank you are better off as it will help keep the bacteria count down as it keeps the sap cooler. Normally you will only get a skim of ice on top of the sap, so nothing to worry about.

The main thing is to make certain your lines are drained when there is a chance it will freeze so they won't bust. A cheap hair dryer will work good to thaw out your valve if needed, or you can use heat tape around the valve area to keep it from freezing. :D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Al,

One thing to remember about galvanized tanks is that they have a caulk-like seal around the bottom seams and too much heat could melt the seal. I have 6 galvanized tanks and they work great. I use a 150 gallon galvanized tank for a feed tank for years and it worked really good!

Good luck! :D :D

Al
09-22-2004, 01:25 PM
What I was worried about is the last 3 or 4 inchs that I have every time I finish. Should I just drain it out and not have to worry about it? Seems like a waste to me. How about a Rubber Maid tank? They make 300 gallon tanks for about the same price or are they like the white ones and hold bacteria?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Al,

What I always did is have my tank where I can tilt it and drain it out into a five gallon bucket which should hold whatever is left and just pour it into the evaporator or a pan which was what I was using with the galvanized tank. As it gets almost empty, you can put like a small piece of 2x4 under the back edge of the tank and this will tilt most of the liquid towards the front of the tank where the valve is!

You may use that tank next year for a holding tank and you could get you a small 50 gallon stainless round bottom tank and pump up into it as needed. I am heading up this weekend to get all my stuff and I will post some pics soon. You could probably get someone to make you a small 40 or 50 gallon stainless round bottom tank for really cheap and that is all you would need and have a small pump to pump up into it whenever it gets low. :D :D