PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Mac
01-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Hi Folks
Mac here from central NH, Lakes Region. First I would like to thank everyone for sharing their hard earned experience. I have read lots of FAQ's and read alot of threads and got alot of great information that lots of folks learned the "hard way". Two seasons with propane, lots of fun..... don't really want to know what the syrup cost me to make!!!!!!!!
Shot the lock off my wallet this year and I am upgrading to wood. 2 x3 WF Mason on order, with a 12 x 20 finisher. About 70 taps. No sugar house yet.. so I'll be open airing it... any thoughts or tips on that would be appreciated! Can't wait, and hope for a great season for all.
Mac

TapME
01-22-2009, 06:51 AM
good to have you back Mac. There's nothing wrong with airing it, we do the same. sounds like a nice upgrade and will be a lot of fun for you.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Mac,

It don't take long to cut 4 oak poles from 4 to 6 inch oak trees and put them in the ground and make a couple of crude trusses and 1 roll of 10' x 25' plastic and you have a building with 3 sides and a roof. Don't take long to put up and less time to take down and works great. I did this for a number of years when I was a teenager making syrup in the back yard on a 2x3 stainless pan and a cinderblock arch.

Mackdaddy
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Mac,

I feel your pain with airing it. My problem is the wind. I swear to God I get 30 mph winds at least a half dozen times during the season. Steals all of my heat away. Last year I finally took some 4x8 sheets of plywood and made a wind shelter with a piece of galvnized corrugated that was above the pan to protect from rain and snow blowing in. My heat loss dropped so dramatically that at the end of the season I actually had bowed plywood. Bout broke a sweat tending the fire!

Mackdaddy

Amber Gold
01-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Mac, I'm down in Barrington. There's a few 'Trader members in this area of NH.

Mac_Muz
01-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Mac, I am confused..... are you me?

"central NH, Lakes Region" Nawth or south of the lake?

I am pretty sure you ain't me :-D, since I run my home made rig on wood.

I last posted here end of sugar season last year, and forgot which user name I used, so at first I did think you were me. Are we rich yet?