PDA

View Full Version : vacuum basics

DaveB
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
While I'm getting things settled and prepared for the 2009 season, I'm thinking about the 2010 season. One of the projects I did this year was to re-setup my tubing the way it's supposed to be: lateral lines running into mainline to two collection points, one on each corner of my woods. I tried to use guidelines that you would use for a vacuum system, thinking that I might want to go that route at some point. Besides, if I had a vacuum system, I could use a sap ladder and bring everything right to my new sugarhouse.

I was trying to see what is needed for a vacuum system. I couldn't find a good post where it talks about the basics of what is needed for a vacuum system so I thought I would just ask. What do I need for about 250 taps (that's what I have in my woods)?

From what I can gather, I need a pump which is connected to a releaser which is connected to the tubing system. Is that correct? What models or price range should expect for the pump or releaser or whatever else I might need? I have electricity at my sugarhouse, so is electric better than gas? Air or water cooled?

I really do appreciate this place....it's great to have a single place where you can get all kinds of input!! I could never get that elsewhere.

Dave

caseyssugarshack93
01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
To get you started on vac id look for a old dairy pump like a Surge or delaval, shoud beable to find one for a few hundrend and for a releaser for 250 taps you can use a lapierre hobby releaser for around 550 bucks and then ur gunna need some pvc pipe to connect ur releaser to the vacum pump or the the moisture trap which is hooked to the vac. then your proabaly doing to put valves on ur mainlines (at the ends ) where the they will hook to the releaser and have a tank and make a somthing for the releaser to sit on over ur tank and your going to need a vac regualter i believe which u would put in the pipe going from the vac to the releaser put it in the middle. and for the sugar bush you should have 5 to 10 taps per lat should run 5 to 7 MAX and have ur mainline sized right for 250tap 3/4 im guessing you have and that should do it.

hope this helped.

Russell Lampron
01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
For a small amount of taps a dairy vacuum pump will be a good place to start. You wouldn't need a very big one, something around 5 or 6 cfm. Run it with an electric motor if you can. It will be a lot more trouble free and cost less to operate. Used ones that are ready to use can be had for around $300.

Lapierre makes a mechanical hobby releaser that is good for 300 taps. As far as I know they can still be had for less than $600. I am assuming that you are going to use the sap ladder to get the sap to one collection point. For 2 collection points you will need a second releaser.

With the extra sap that you will get you should be able to pay for the vacuum in one season. Go for it for the 2009 season if you can. You will be glad that you did.

Haynes Forest Products
01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Elec sap extractor $595.00 thats the cheapest one they show and it will handle 2500 taps. Dont worry about the big number it doesnt change the way it works alot of room to grow. If your new to the concept of tubing and vacuum dont think your only option is a diary vacuum pump. They are nice but can be tempermental and high maintanance. I use a Gast oiless vane pump on one side of the woods and it worked great. With a releaser you dont need a vacuum regulator you can put them on a timer and with elec. at the sugar house your good to go cheap. Ebay has alot. Ill list a few that will work for you.

Haynes Forest Products
01-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Here are a few to look at Ebay Item 360073783126 and 2203480383000

You dont want duo seal oil pumps low CFM the vane pumps will work good for 250 to 400 taps there easy to use and there not expensive and last forever.

maplehound
01-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Dave another way to save some money is to look for a Zero Milk tank, that is vacuumeable. Most of the smaller ones are. Then you won't need the releaser just plumb your vacuum right into the tank. Works for me.

Haynes Forest Products
01-21-2009, 12:42 AM
With the drop in scrap prices SS tanks are worth more as tanks and not scrap. I had a tank I paid $250 for and it was stolen and they most likely got $700 for it 2 years ago when prices were so high. I think the going rate is about $1.00 per gallon now that SS is in the dumpster as scrap.