PDA

View Full Version : Amperage Requirements

Amber Gold
01-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm wiring my sugar house and want to plan for the future. Does anyone know what the amperage requirements are for the following RO machines:

150 gph
300 gph
600 gph

I thought I had a Leader catalogue which listed all those out, but I can’t find it.

Also need the amperage requirements for a liquid ring or similar vacuum pump capable of handling 600 taps.

Trying to determine the maximum potential load I’ll get in the sugar house to determine if it’s feasible run a line over from my house’s main breaker box.

thanks

maplwrks
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
You'll need a minimum of 50 amps---100 amps would be optimum. Your 600 gph R/O will draw 32 amps + and a 10 cfm liquid ring pump will draw few amps and figuring a few lights and a filter press and, and, and...you see it will add up fast. The problem is if you want to take it off your house panel, you may need to upgrade your house panel to 200 amp capacity. This may prove to be more expensive than to put a new service into your sugarhouse.

Amber Gold
01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a friend who's an electrician and he was checking everything out over the weekend. I do have 100 amp service into the house and he said I may need to upgrade to a 200 amp. Do you have a rough idea on the cost to upgrade from 100 amp to 200 amp service? The pole's about 75-100 feet from my box. I was figuring a 60-amp panel at a minimum.

maplwrks
01-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Your electrician is the one to ask---He would be the one doing the work. As far as you local utility, they may not charge you to upgrade the transformer and service wire.(not familiar with your utilitys' practices)

Amber Gold
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I wasn't sure if the utility would charge to upgrade the service. I'll check with them if it comes to that.

With your 2.5x8 and 600gph RO what concentrations do you reach to handle 3500 taps? Are you planning on growing from there? At this point I'd like to reach the 1,000-2,000 level. I'd consider going higher, but don't know if there are many sugar orchards in the area that'd be practical for me to reach higher levels. I think I could reach at least 1,000 without too much of a problem. For the range I'm planning should I plan on a 150 gph RO, 300, or even a 600?

Haynes Forest Products
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Remember if you come off your house using a 50 amp breaker it will give you 100 amp service 50 on each side. When you look at your usage look down the road as far as all the things that you will use.

Filter press,refridgerator,radio,elec heater for keeping RO from freezing,HDTV,possible oil gun for evaporator,cordless drill charger,tractor plugin,heater for bulk tanks,lights,elec/propane heater,pumps,boot warmer,

But the good news is you dont run them all at the same time. Always run the big wire its worth the extra cost. I like using the GFIC breaker instead of GFIC outlets they dont fail due to moisture like outlets.

halfast tapper
01-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Doesn't a 600 gph ro use about 80 amps with the tank heater on? I have a friend and that is what his uses. Also his is an older model with the high pressure piston pump not the vein pumps they have on the new ones.