PDA

View Full Version : Insulation on Ebay

swierczt
01-20-2009, 06:48 AM
As anyone had any experience with this insulation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300286677511

(hope the link works)

I was thinking of using it for door gasket material, will it stay flexable when heated or does it turn brittle?

jrthe3
01-20-2009, 07:05 AM
i don't know about it getting brittle or not but it is not woven real tight i think after a few times of opening and closing the door it will fall apart

i used "fire rope" for my door gasket

swierczt
01-20-2009, 09:11 AM
I tried firerope last year. It was a kit w/ a bottle of adheasive and the rope. It worked for a while, but kept falling off. How did you attach the rope to the door or stove? I am trying to make my arch nearly airtight.

Haynes Forest Products
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Im with jrthe3 this is not good for that application. On my finish pan frame I pop riveted the rope on to the angle iron I used the wide head SS rivets and it looks like new. Do you have single plate steel doors or is there a frame that the rivets will go into and not show on the outside. When I put my rope I tightend the rivets and let them sit for a few seconds before I did the final tighten and pop the rivet so they counter sunk into the rope and that way only the rope was hitting the surface.

jrthe3
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
last year i tryed the clue did not work this year it is bolted with 10-32 stainless steel bolts

swierczt
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
The door is a steel plate, I believe it's 7Ga. or about .190" thick. It worked fine last year without any signs of burning out so I will use it again. I was thinking of drilling and tapping the plate to fasten the insulation to the door. Maybe I could drill and tap and fasten the rope gasket to the door this way? With an airtite firebox, do I have to protect the steel door? from the higher temps?

Haynes Forest Products
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
What I do if you dont want screws showing on the outside just use self taping screws and when is all said and done grind them of smooth and you can still take them out and reuse back in the same hole.

ackerman75
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Swierczt
I put 1 inch thick ceramic blanket on my whole door. I welded 3/8" bolts on the inside of the door and made a flat stock frame out of metal with holes drilled in it where the bolts line up, weld bolts about 2 to 3 inches in from the edge of the door, cover entire door with ceramic blanket then slide the flat stock frame over the bolts and put nuts and washers on. This will hold the blanket on and also seal the door. Last year I didn't insulate the door and when it got hot it would bow out some and not seal. Just have to be carfull your wood doesn't hit the ceramic blanket and rip it

dkr
01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I have this in 1/2 thick. I put it on my door and this will be my 3rd year with no problem. I tryed the rope but it doesnt stay on. If you want a small piece for your door send me a box with postage and I will give it to you.Dick

ackerman75
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
dkr,
Did you ever have any problems with wood hitting the ceramic and ripping it, I know they have a rigidizer for it but it is very exspensive for the little amount you would need for the door.

dkr
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
The wood hits it sometimes but no damage yet,I try to keep an eye on new helpers and tell them to make sure the wood is all the way in firebox before closing the door. My door is flat steel I used self tapping screws with washers to put insulation on the door

RileySugarbush
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I have had 1" ceramic blanket on the inside of my cast iron door for two seasons. It's held on with stainless screws through fender washers and it's holding up fine.

DavyJones
01-21-2009, 08:33 AM
As anyone had any experience with this insulation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300286677511

(hope the link works)

I was thinking of using it for door gasket material, will it stay flexable when heated or does it turn brittle?

It looks similiar to this stuff which is what I used. http://cgi.ebay.com/CERAMIC-FIBER-BLANKET-2300-DEG-1-THICK-ROLL-8_W0QQitemZ8286675965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Default Domain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

If it is the same it will stay flexible, it's easy to cut, It might be a bit thick though for your door gasket. You might want to just visit a local tru-value or Ace hardware or whatever they call themselves this day and get a piece of fire rope and use that. It's going to be cheaper then $18 for that insulation.

mfchef54
01-21-2009, 08:39 AM
I attached mine last year with self tapping screws.