PDA

View Full Version : Sap for Syrup

MaplePancakeMan
01-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Just a quick question its inevitable that some of you take sap thats brought to you and trade it for syrup. Whats the ratio of syrup you would give someone that brought you 275 gallons of sap.

I posted on craigslist to get some more trees and i got tons of responses. Enough so that i'm considering tapping a few of the locations and bringing it to a local sugar maker much larger than i am or ever will be and look to get some syrup for it instead of boiling it myself (too many things didn't line up right this year)

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated want to know what my ratio would be or what to expect.

Steve

halfast tapper
01-20-2009, 01:08 AM
The way most people do it is to figure out what is owed in sap price per gallon and instead of getting a check for your sap you get syrup. Depending on sugar content 275 gallons of sap would be about 75 to 100 dollars. Thats a pretty broad estimate. If i had to nail it down , I would say 80 dollars for 275 gal of sap.

maplwrks
01-20-2009, 06:09 AM
MPM ---- Halfast is pretty close, if you had 275 gallons of 2% sap, it would be worth roughly $89. I just got Bruce Bascoms sap prices for 2009, and according to this, 2% sap is worth .325 this year. Bruces' figures are based on $2.55 lb syrup----I don't think I would like to sell him sap, but who knows, it might be what it is. These sap prices are up $.15 a lb from last year. Trading sap for syrup is not a bad deal to do, I have one fella that trades all of his sap for syrup. I give it to him at the wholesale price + containers.