PDA

View Full Version : Revers Flow same side draw off

MapleBud
01-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I bought a Patrick Paneuf 2X8 revers flow same side draw off and was woundering if you guys think i need to put some kind of insallation on the pipes to the front pan or will i be ok and it stay hot in the pipe long enough till it inters the pan . you can see it at photobucket thanks for the help. I had this costum made this way figureing it would work .
Bud
http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/Sapping/th_evap5.jpg

http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/Sapping/th_evap4.jpg

http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/Sapping/th_evap1.jpg

brookledge
01-18-2009, 08:12 PM
When I bought my evaporator I was contemplating what style syrup pans to go with. I had always had parallel flow that were reversible. I do everthing my self and did not want to be removing pans to reverse flow so I settled with the leader revelution pans that draw off on the same side all the time and are the quickest style to reverse the flow. If I take my time in switching the flow it takes about 10 seconds otherwise I could do it in 5 seconds.
My pan never leaves the arch during the season and when I scrub it it is in place if it needs it.
Keith

MapleBud
01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm going to try to put bigger pitchures of it on photobucket did not reallies the ones where so small

MapleBud
01-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Finely figured out photobucket
the pitchures are now biger

http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/Sapping/Evaporator/?action=view&current=MVC-001F.jpg

Uncle Tucker
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Bud,
I would leave it not insulated. I don’t think you will notice a difference in efficiency and it will look funny. The worst that will happen is it may not boil the first 2” of the syrup pan.

Sugarmaker
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Mbud,
Wow! someones got some nice shiny stainless! Nice rig! I have never seen a draw off like that. Try it and see how it works. Let us know. Looks like you can use the upper draw offs as well?

Chris

MapleBud
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes you draw off from the upper 2

Amber Gold
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Never seen a setup like that before. What is the bottom line for?

Nice looking rig!

MapleBud
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Never seen a setup like that before. What is the bottom line for?

Nice looking rig!

The bottom line is the feed line to the syrup pan you just switch 2 valves to revers flow.

Amber Gold
01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I see how it works now. He does make nice looking rigs.

mapleack
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
That looks like a good way to reverse flow, just be careful on cold nights, you'd better have a heated sugar house or drain the pans, I'd worry about weaker sap in the line towards the flue pan freezing solid.

parsissn
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm considering a set of pans like this, I really like the one side design. I'm curious what others do with their drop flue pan between boils during freezing weather. Do you drain the flue pan but leave syrup in the front pan? How do you drain the flues? I have a custom build flue pan and the only way to drain it is to tip it over.

Mark

Haynes Forest Products
01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
You have to make sure that you cover the stack when your done so the cold air doesnt come down stack and freeze the pan and then put a light in the arch to keep a little heat in there. Another custom draine tube across the flues and your totaly tricked out.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I would think a bigger problem than air coming down the stack is the stack pulling air up thru the flues via the draft door or blower mounted on the back of the arch. I don't think is is too much problem with backdraft.

The sugar content is high enough in the flues that it usually isn't too much of a problem. Put a light bulb in the arch during cold nights or light a small fire every 2 or 3 days. This isn't neccessary unless it is extremely cold for an extended period of time.

MapleBud
01-27-2009, 05:11 PM
I can close the valves on the pans in drain the feed pipe so it does not freeze soilded. all i have is a rain cap above the smoke stack so it could draw back cold air. If i put a heat lamp in the fire box after boiling for the night,and it cools down. i will be ok then? Or i can dran the flue pan if i have to. that would not be hard its a raisdflue. and can drain it out the feed pipe.Do you guys think this will work ok.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I have never worried about draining my flue pan for overnight. If there will be an extended period of cold weather, I start a small fire each morning to warm the sap slightly. As the sap in the pan cools to the freezing point, the colder portion begins to rise to the top and freezes first (ice floats). What is not frozen is getting more and more concentrated with sugar so takes longer and longer to freeze. If you have to reheat several times, worst case scenario is slightly darker syrup. If you have electric availabe, a heat bulb will more than do the job, if not, a small fire (just a bit of kindling) daily during an axtended cold snap will work.

Russell Lampron
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
With a raised flue you don't have to worry about freezing too much I have had mine freeze solid from an unexpected couple of days with a -9 daytime high one day and -20 overnight for 3 nights. There was no damage at all to the flue pan not even a little wrinkle.

MapleBud
01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys for all the help.