PDA

View Full Version : Steam Pipe Issues

NYScott
01-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Hello everyone, As the season nears I am starting to feel the rush to finish up a few things for my first year boiling. I have yet to put my steam stack through the roof. My sugar house is basically a shed type addition off an existing barn so, short of some really strange looking dormer I will not have a cupola. I was planning on one 10 pipe through the roof for the preheater and steam hood over the finish pan. I was also planning on tapering these two hoods into the same 10" pipe. This is a small rig only a 2x8 grimm wood fired. Does anyone have any ideas on this, before I cut the hole in the roof?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27585802@N03/3205799017/

H. Walker
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I would put 2 pipes up through the roof. My first steam hood was designed like you described and it didn't work, it had to be seperated and the 2nd pipe put out.

gearpump
01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I kinda had the same issue. If the picture link works below it might give you some ideas. The hoods work great and we have no problem with steam in the sugarhouse.

Marty

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/journeysendmaplefarm/

Haynes Forest Products
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I have my steamhood enclosed over the flue pan and just a open sided hood that covers the finish pans on my 3X10 The end of the flue pan hood is open towards the finish pan and the steam gets sucked into the hood and out it goes threw into my 12" steam pipe works great. I dont have the whole area cut out towards the finish pan only about 1/2 of the top part. I might get very little steam the rolls out from under the open hood but never causes any problems. I dont think I would want to give up the show or smell of the totaly enclosed finish pan.

Sugarmaker
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
NYScott,
I listened to the experts when I came to this decision and two seperate steam pipes have worked well for us. The key to the preheater side is to have a damper to keep as much steam under the hood as possible. This might also work with a single pipe if the damper was in the lower part of the "Y" on the rear hood.
We love the hoods, and the lack of steam in the evaporator room makes it more comfortable for guests and the sugar maker too. We have some pictures on our web site.
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Scott,

If you can see pics of my evaporator in weblink below under maple syrup, I have 1 ten inch steam stack handling the steam from my front and rear pan. 2 Pipes might do a little better, but I am like you and didn't want more than 2 holes in the roof.

NYScott
02-11-2009, 05:52 AM
The weather has gotten good enough to climb up on the roof. Tonight after work I am going to put the hole in the roof and at least get the steam stack coming inside the sugar house. I'll post some pics when I get done.