PDA

View Full Version : stack stuff

cheesegenie
01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm sure there is a thread someplace for this, but hard to find answers in one place. Using regular heavy 7-8 in, black stovepipe seems to last two years
then burns out. Only a small homemade rig, 2x4 pan. Does the real maple
supply company's galvanized stack last longer or is it heavier than stovepipe.
I know there is stainless, but must be costly.Also is 6 inches below the pan
to brick bottom on riser slope too much (at far end where smoke goes out.
Thanks, two months to go.

brookledge
01-18-2009, 07:52 AM
The galv stack once heated to the point of burning it off will rust and then it's only a matter of time. On my previous evaporators I had galv. stack it would last about 5- 6 years and then have to be replaced. My new evap (6yrs old) I bought stainless and I leave it up year round. It is tarnished a bit but will basicly last indefinately.
So to answer your question about stainless, I would say you need to decide how long you are going to have the evap. If you plan on keeping it for along time then stainless is the way to go. Otherwise go with galv. or black pipe.
I don't think you will find much difference between galv. and black pipe. The black has been coated with high heat paint vs. galv coated. either way niether one can stand up to real high temps.
Keith

cheesegenie
01-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks Keith, that does make sense. I forgot to mention; I do have some
insulated stainless chimney I could use ,but never see it used on evaporators?
Was thinking of using it on the outside and go 3-4 feet above the peak of roof.Think that is enough? Thanks again.

maplesyrupstove
01-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I have a D&G 18x63 Sportsman with a 7" Selkirk chimney and homemade raincap in my saphouse. Darrell.

cheesegenie
01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Darrell, that is good to know. Can you open it and close it off from down below, or try to crawl up and almost kill yourself like I do? Much snow down
there? Just enough to run the skidoo here, less tah a foot, but nice to get around the bush without wading in the snow. Thanks.

Haynes Forest Products
01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
start out with a section of SS on the base stack thats the hottest spot . Ebay I think has 10" X 24 section about 38$

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
You should be able to buy 7 to 8 inch stainless stovepipe in sections from a local hardware store. Might have to order it for you, but it will probably last you 20 years and pay for itself 3 or 4 times over what the black stuff costs and pay for itself several times in the headache that it causes having to change it every couple of years.

maplesyrupstove
01-18-2009, 06:55 PM
We got around 6" now and still snowing,around 15" in the woods.My raincap stay open all the time,I cover it with plastic when the season is over.Darrell

brookledge
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Cheesegenie
As far as height over the peak.
The minimum length of stack that is recommended is twice the length of your arch so in your case 8 feet however I would also say you need to be atleast 4 feet above the peak. You can always add more if you need more draft.
Keith

cheesegenie
01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. Again after all these years, this site is fantastic.