PDA

View Full Version : Vac Gage

backyardsugarer
01-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Any stores sell them? Leader aways seems to want double for fitting and things like this but I can not find one at Home Depot or other stores. They have lots of pressure gauge's but none for vac units. Thanks.
Chris

tuckermtn
01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
check http://www.mcmaster.com/

page 575 I think...just search under vacuum gauge...the ones I use are near middle of the page, 0-30hg, dial, bottom connector

$10.50 I think...Bascoms wants 16.00

Haynes Forest Products
01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Call 1 800 4883407 its called surplus center they have Both liquid filled or cheaper ones with out liquid. They are about $8.00 I ues the liquid filled for the equipment that vibrates. If you put a cheap guage on you gas powerd vacuum pump it will fail in a few days

lpakiz
01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Juut make sure you are aware of the shipping and handling. I was gonna order a SS check valve from them for $13. The S&H was over $14!!

WMF
01-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Chris, Graingers in Henrietta have a good selection of vacuum gauges and you can look at them before you buy.
Some vacuum gauges have a pressure scale built into them so they are dual purpose but I don't like them as they have less resolution.
A decent economy Ashcroft gauge will be $10-15 and a good metal case Ashcroft will be $30-40.
I ruin several gauges a year mainly from dropping or letting a little sap inside and then letting it freeze.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
NORTHERN HYDRUALICS has 3 different sizes. Never could find them in the catalog , just call and tell them what you need.

RICH

brookledge
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Also dairy suppliers would have them but your cheapest price will be from northern tool or tractor supply etc, type store
Keith

Amber Gold
02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I was thinking of getting a vacuum gauge and putting quick disconnect like you have on air compressor air hoses. Put the female end on critical points along your system and just plug the vac. gauge into as you're doing your daily walk through. Anybody else using the quick disconnects?

I also checked Tractor Supply's website and didn't see any vacuum gauges.

For sealing threaded fittings on the vac. system (mainline, releaser, and etc.) do you use teflon tape or pipe dope?

Jeff E
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
mailto:mireurco@comcast.net

Guys, here is the deal of the week. I got a box of 50 gauges, black steel case, bottom 1/4" NPT brass fitting, cost last June was $1.58 each. You read that right. I have one mounted 2 feet from my 5 hp elect vacuum pump on PVC line and have had no problems, outside installs are ok so far as well.

This is who I contacted.

Kay Tomlinson
800-372-4122

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Amber Gold: Boiler cos have quick ports for that very application you install the little port and you just push the female into it and it reseals automaticly they look like quick connects but they dont lock into them.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-05-2009, 06:32 PM
AG,
I use the teflon tape. Easier to use in the cold and not as messy. It is more expensive.

maplwrks
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I like the idea of quick connects for insertion of a vacuum guage. My concern is, most quick connects are made for positive pressure, not vacuum. I'm afraid that they would leak tremendously.

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 07:50 PM
you could always use small ball valves and just screw the guage in quick open valve and remove. The one reason I like the liquid filled guages is they are waterproof/weatherproof and the liquid wont freeze

jrthe3
02-05-2009, 08:06 PM
if you find a veneer supply place they sell valve stem like for a tire but for vacuum and pipe thread the end

brookledge
02-05-2009, 09:15 PM
If you adapt your vac gage to a rubber hose that will fit over a tap, then you can walk along any where you want pull a tap and check it. It works best when you use sanitary adapters because you don't have to pull the adapter out of the tree just disconect the stubby spout. and you don't contaminate the tap hole. But anyways it is a good tool to see what your vac is doing and where you are losing it and need to make improvements.
Keith

Amber Gold
02-06-2009, 07:03 AM
HFP, do you have a link for the boiler fittings you're talking about? I'm not following.

I wasn't sure if the air compressor for quick disconnects would work under vacuum.

There's some good ideas on here for alternatives.

Haynes Forest Products
02-06-2009, 07:40 AM
AG: I will check with a suppier that I deal with and post.