PDA

View Full Version : How many traders belong to there state maple associations ?

NH Maplemaker
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I was just wondering how many of the traders belong to there state maple association and why? I know that I joined after my first season (back when I had hair and muscles) A fellow producer in town here invited my wife and I to the annual meeting. That was about 27+ years ago! Good way to meet fellow maple Producers and traders !

dano2840
01-16-2009, 01:09 PM
ive gotta join the vt maple sugar makers assn, good benifits, and a good way to keep up to date on new things

Fred Henderson
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
I joined NYS's about 4 or 5 years ago. The information that is shared proved to be invaluable. Matter-of-fact we sent some pic's of our grandchildren to them at their request for the news flyer and they were printed in it. Pic's of the kids helping in the sugarbush.

gator330
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
I just picked up the form for mine this past week. I have yet to fill it out. Today may be the day to do that. It's so cold here I think the tube would shatter like glass if I tryed to work with it. I did get the fire brick for the arch today. Guess I better get my membership sent in next.

mfchef54
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
i just joined the NYS. I guess just to make a connection to some of the other producers in my county and for the info that they make available.

Russell Lampron
01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
I joined the NHMPA in the spring of 2000 which the first year that I made syrup. I was at a local supply house and the owner put an application in front of me and asked if I wanted to join. The maple weekend advertisement was the biggest reason. I was able to get my name out there without having to pay for an add in the paper. The annual and regional meetings are informational and fun to attend. The free hydrometer testing, subscription to the Maple Syrup Digest and discount on jugs are a great deal for the $20 membership fee.

caseyssugarshack93
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Im thinking about joining the ny maple assosiation.
Maybe This year or next year hopfuly for sure.

Maple Restoration
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I joined the Ontario Maple Syrup Association for the Algonquin region last year, they offer web site advertizing for member’s discounts on jugs and promotional products at discounted rates and it has been a great resource for information and help for new kids like me in the industry.

davey
01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I belong to the NYSMPA

ennismaple
01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I joined the Ontario Maple Syrup Association for the Algonquin region last year, they offer web site advertizing for member’s discounts on jugs and promotional products at discounted rates and it has been a great resource for information and help for new kids like me in the industry.

We're also OMSPA members. Our district meeting is on Jan 24 and we're one of the stops on the summer tour that our district is hosting this summer. The cost to join is miniscule when you consider the benefits of having a unified voice when dealing with government, suppliers, etc...

newman_maple
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I have belonged to the Ohio Association (OMPA) for over a year now. I like the information they send out, but they have not added me to their member list on the website yet. They told me several weeks ago to wait a couple weeks and it would be up to date. That is my only complaint with them.

Gary R
01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I joined the NWPA Association last year before I ever made any syrup. I just wanted to learn more and meet other producers. I don't plan on selling any syrup, so I'll never need the marketing part of it. For the 20 bucks I get a free lunch at the meeting, knowledge, subsciption and get to talk to people I'd never see the rest of the year. A great deal!

maple flats
01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I joined the New York State MPA in 04. The biggest reason was to be in the maple weekend advertising. They also have a lot of valuable information and help the whole maple industry which in turn helps me. I plan to be a member as long as I can make maple.

tuckermtn
01-16-2009, 05:52 PM
our co-op belongs to New Hampshire Maple Producers Association...three years now...great PR for maple weekend...

Clan Delaney
01-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Just joined Mass Maple. Going to the annual meeting tomorrow.

mapleman3
01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey Me too!! :)

I joined also for the information and publications, and so I could bottle in Ma. Maple Jugs and sell syrup back to the assoc. if I wanted to for the Eastern States Exposition.

Homestead Maple
01-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I joined the NHMPA in 89' and enjoy all the things they have to offer at the annual and regional meetings. The containers are a good buy and help spread the association name. A community is always good because it benefits its members in a lot of ways.

maplehound
01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I have belonged to the Ohio Maple producers for many years, except for last year. I guess the dues seem to come due right when money is the tightest and last year I thought the organiziation lost sight of there state producers and could only focuse on the national show. They also priced the show so high that those who where local could hardly afford to attend. Lets face it when they told me to just come to one day and that day would cost $45 per person and another $45 per person to attend the meal and auction, i thought why should I pay my dues and $180 for my wife and I to attend a trade show and a meal with the right to spend more money at an auction. I have a hard enough time keeping my regular bills paid. Sorry for the rambeling but it did make me a little upset!!! As for this year I still haven't sent in my money but will probably pay it at the Maple days show coming in a couple weeks.

802maple
01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I joined both the Addison County Maple producers and the Vermont association back in 1973, and held many offices in both organizations ever since. They are both great marketing tools and there are excellent meals for both during the year where a lot of info is shared.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-17-2009, 08:44 PM
We don't have an association in WV and I have thought about starting one as there are a number of producers scattered all over the state, but it is about 5 to 6 hours from one end of the state to the other and I have enough irons in the fire already and family and work take most of my time already.

brookledge
01-18-2009, 06:51 AM
I do. I joined many years ago before we had a state assoc. It was called the Pioneer Valley Maple Syrup Producers Assoc. Some time later (not sure when) the name changed to Mass Maple Producers Assoc.
Keith

220 maple
01-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Brandon,
I believe we need a association, I like you have way to much going on to tackle that 800 pound gorilla. I did start gathering address of all the producers around the state, but never did anything with them. Maybe after this season? My goal is that we have a association before the International Syrup Council meeting is held in Somerset County in the next decade, I think it is scheduled for 2014, if we have an assoc. we can put syrup in the contest. plus other benefits.

Mark 220 Maple

Clan Delaney
01-18-2009, 08:02 AM
I do. I joined many years ago before we had a state assoc. It was called the Pioneer Valley Maple Syrup Producers Assoc. Some time later (not sure when) the name changed to Mass Maple Producers Assoc.
Keith

You're gonna have to brush up on your history now, eh Keith? Congrats on your new board position!

We're gonna have to talk about those campaign promises... a new RO in every shack? I'll start clearing out a corner. :D

NH Maplemaker
01-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Clan, Stay focused on the evaporator !! Your letting your addiction take control!!LOL The RO will come with time!! STAY FOCUSED.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Mark,

Where's Somerset County??

Specklefield Farm
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Mark may be talking about Somerset Co. Penna. Its just over the MD/PA line near Frostburg, Cumberland MD.

It's my home stomping grounds.

sapman
01-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I joined NYSMPA back in the 90's, then let it slide for a few years. Rejoined a couple years ago, and plan to keep with it now. I enjoy the maple tour and the exposure available, and the information provided to members.

Tim

Tweegs
01-20-2009, 10:43 AM
We signed up for the Michigan association last Saturday...seemed like the thing to do.

Sapman,
The wife and I are looking at getting some Alpaca's, I'll shoot you a PM when the time nears :)