PDA

View Full Version : Drum Pump

Amber Gold
01-15-2009, 07:42 AM
I'll be packing in drums this year and will need a cheap pump. I don't want to spend too much money because I'll likely be buying a filter press after this season and will just use that. Any ideas??

Also saw a drum dumper on craigslist and was considering that as an alternative to a pump.

maplecrest
01-15-2009, 09:23 AM
i bought a drum pump from bascoms. it is very slow, then the packing went syrup everywhere but in pail. drum tipper the way to go. i use a ratchet strap to hold drum and tip. pour in ss pail and pour in canner.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Buy a filter press now and pump the syrup out of the drums with the filter press. My understanding is that it works great to pull syrup out of drums, but I have never tried it.

Amber Gold
01-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Maplecrest, I was leaning in that direction as well. The only thing I liked better about the pump is put it on the shelf and it's out of the way. What do you use for a valve to control the flow? Is it standard pipe threads so you can just setup a ball valve to it?

Brandon, I don't have the $1200-1500 to drop on a filter press now and won't until I start selling some product.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Josh,

I totally understand what you mean by that. If you can afford one in late spring, you could order one during the early order period for a 10% discount and pay for it later when it comes in. I bought a Lapierre off of the maple guys a couple of years ago and it works great and I like the design a lot with the motor and the press unit being seperate from each other.