PDA

View Full Version : bucket liners

03weim
01-14-2009, 05:32 AM
I was wondering what people are using for bucket liners I have a few buckets that leak and would like to start using them again, I searched the old threads and from what I read it appears people are just using plastic bags is this right? If that is true how do you stop them from falling down into the bucket?

swierczt
01-14-2009, 06:26 AM
I use 55 gal. plastic drums to collect my sap at the end of my tubing lines. I tried some FDA approved drum liners from McMaster-Carr to try to get away without cleaning my drums throughout the season, but they leaked. I don't know if the cold got to them or what, but it was a waste of money. I went back to just using the plastic drums. I don't know if JB Weld is FDA approved, but since the sap is cold, maybe it would work to patch your buckets?

cncaboose
01-14-2009, 06:49 AM
we used bags for 2 years that were tall enough to fold over the top of the bucket. Then push the tap right thru the bag where it covers the bucket hole when you hang the bucket each time. Worked well initially but slowed us cown collecting, got rank as the season went on, and most eventually leaked. If you don't mind replacing them periodically they could work for you. As for us, we won't be using them again. I've got a sack of 100 left if you want to try some at a reasonable price.

tapper
01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
I tried liners last year and found they leaked and slowed us down also. Back to washing buckets this season.

03weim
01-14-2009, 09:29 AM
well I guess that answers my question its not worth using bucket liners. I might try and use the sap saks it will be cheaper that replacing the few leaking buckets I have

parsissn
01-17-2009, 10:59 AM
You can use high grade pure silicon to seal your leaky buckets. Just make sure it has plenty of time (a week or so) to cure before you use it. Once cured, silicon is non toxic (G.E. verified this) and is safe for food contact. Probably not FDA approved but cold sap is not aggressive at leaching things from contact materials.

03weim
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
thanks for the tip on the silicon

tapper
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I used sap sacks last year and really liked them 100 more arrived just yesterday.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
As far as the silicon, even some of them say on the back of the container it is safe for food contact. If you are concerned, make sure you buy one that says it on the fine print labels on the back of the tube.

Russell Lampron
01-18-2009, 06:08 AM
If someone uses a particular brand and type of silicon that they know is safe please post the info here. That way someone looking for it doesn't have to spend hours in the hardware store reading all of the fine print. There are a lot of different types of silicon out there.

TapME
01-18-2009, 08:15 AM
for those that want a seal that is good in food situations use phenoseal. I have been using this on countertops with marble and granite for years. It is save to be in contact with food. All the tubes say does it all on it and it does at least for me. The translucent is what I use all the time and would not hesitate to use it on any of my maple stuff.

Bucket Head
01-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Guys,

DAP brand makes a food-safe silicone. I used some to fix some leaky buckets.

It's Kitchen & Bath 100% Silicone Sealant- Clear. Has "backsplashes, showers, sinks, tubs, fixtures" on the tube.

Below the instructions... "Safe For Food Contact: When cured and washed."

Steve