PDA

View Full Version : Re Tin Arch

kcompo
01-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I had new galvanized pans made for the arch bottom. The rivets from leader are flat inside and outside of the arch. Can i get the same type of rivets or am going to have to use sheet metal screws or pop rivets that will protrude past the sheet metal ? I would like the fasteners to fit flush. If any one has any ideals please send them my way thanks.

maple flats
01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Check with others but I think a galvinized pan will leave galvinizing in the syrup. Any galv. i have seen is impossible also to get completely de greased. For your sake i hope i am wrong.Now on the other hand if you have non ioly galvinized buckets you are ok for sap collection but should use a liner if there is lead present. Many hardware stores have or can get lead test strips to test for the presence of lead.

maple flats
01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
As for the rivets you ask about, you should be able to get rivets. You will order flat head rivets and set them with a hammer. To do this you hold the pieces to be riveted together with the rivet in place, hold a heavy bucking block (any flat surfaced heavy metal mass, maybe even the head of a heavy maul) against the head and hammer the other end with a hammer. Ball peane works best and when almost there switch to a flat head hammer. The best if you have access to one is to use a small pneumatic hammer, like what muffler shops use to cut things apart when they can't use a torch but with a flat ended punch. Order the rivets about 1/8-1/4" longer than what you are connecting, remember to add the thicknesses, 2,3,4?

Haynes Forest Products
01-13-2009, 06:07 PM
In your bio you say you have SS pans and you replaced them with Galvinized why? What are the rivets holding together? If its the corners how is it water tight. Some Galvinizeing is not ment to be heated.

maplesyrupstove
01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
There was a guy here that had a galvinized pan and the sap would turn Black setting overnight.The department of Health said if someone got sick he be sorry. Where can you BUY a galvinized cook pot ? The stove has a SS pan now.

Clan Delaney
01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Just trying out the moderator thing... I moved this thread to the Homemade Maple Equipment section. All's fine. Just keeping things tidy. I've left a redirect (a link to this thread's new location) in the original section. The redirect will automatically disappear in a week.

Dave - what makes galvanized buckets okay to use? I have a few myself. Even considered boiling in one last year but ended up not having to.

kcompo
01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Check with others but I think a galvinized pan will leave galvinizing in the syrup. Any galv. i have seen is impossible also to get completely de greased. For your sake i hope i am wrong.Now on the other hand if you have non ioly galvinized buckets you are ok for sap collection but should use a liner if there is lead present. Many hardware stores have or can get lead test strips to test for the presence of lead.

Thanks for your response. My sap pan and drop flue pan is stainless steel from leader.
I am rebuilding my arch only.

Haynes Forest Products
01-13-2009, 07:37 PM
OK Now I get it. Why the fuss if the rivets in the arch are flush or not? Why not use the wide head SS pop rivets they look good abd if space is a problem in the arch do as Maple Flat said and just use washers on the sheet metal side and pean the backside flat. Do it all the time for a better hold. On my Arch I welded the sheet metal from the back side with the wire feed for a nice clean look.

mfchef54
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Dave - what makes galvanized buckets okay to use? I have a few myself. Even considered boiling in one last year but ended up not having to.

I think that the heating of the material releases the lead.(?)