PDA

View Full Version : bottle top source

forester1
01-13-2009, 07:36 AM
I think this was covered before but I lost the source. Does anyone know a source for new tops for glass gallon jugs like they used to sell cider in before they switched to plastic? What is the size? They are the flat type with little metal tabs to catch the thread.

Jim Brown
01-13-2009, 07:49 AM
forester1 Fillmore containers in Lancaster Pa has them
www.fillmorecontainer.com

Homestead Maple
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
You could try Burch Bottle in Waterford, NY. They sell many types of glass bottles.
www.burchbottle.com

markcasper
01-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Jerry, I have had the same problem. I have a quite a few gallon and half gallon glass juice jars. There basically 2 different types of closures. The lug type and the thinnly threaded screw type. I checked out the filmore bottle outfit. Looks like you can get case lots. The lug caps are easy to come by. Its the other......like the type on 8 oz. starbucks coffee drink, that is hard to come by. I had a friend who drinks that save all his starbucks coffee caps. Come to find out....they have twice as many threads as the old apple juice jars and they are pretty much all worthless. You can get the lug caps from www.andersonmaplesyrup.com, in either white or gold.

You can buy just a few if you need them, I think they are.15 each.

I think the standard apple juice jar used to have a 43 mm cap. If its narrower like a pint syrup decanter, then they would use the same 38mm cap as a pint glass jar. Practically all of the food products in the store that have a metal cap use the "lug" style cap. All except the starbucks coffee drink. And those are the type I have been searching for, but with only half as many threads. Hope this helps.

forester1
01-14-2009, 08:03 AM
This all helps. I have Fillmore sending me some samples so I can get the right size figured out. I had someone give me about 100 glass gallon jugs they saved from cider and apple juice. After removing lables and cleaning, it's hard to believe I used to throw these away, with glass bottle prices what they are now. Now juice comes in plastic.

Jim Brown
01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
forster1 You will find the the filmore container folks are GREAT to deal with. We have been buying a number of our glass jars from them for 4 years now.
Very GOOD folks!

Jim

lpakiz
01-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I looked at the fillmore site and the burchbottle site. Seems ya gotta buy so many--like 2-3000 or more.
Will they sell 50 or 100 and ship them reasonable??

MaplePancakeMan
01-14-2009, 11:24 PM
It gets me so mad, i went to lancaster, pa this year to visit the farm markets and i had planned on getting bottles and bringing them home to save on shipping but i completely forgot!!!!!!

Cardigan99
01-16-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.gambercontainer.com/baconjugco.asp

The original

Homestead Maple
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Check out Bascommaple.com. They sell a lot of different caps for glassware and you could buy 1 - 1,000 or more.