PDA

View Full Version : Leader leg size?????????????????

briduhunt
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a older Leader 2x6 wood fired evaporator that I just had re-tinned and I was trying to install new legs. I tried 1" black iron pipe and it was to big and I also tried 3/4" blk iron pipe and that was too small. What is the proper size and is it something special I need to order from leader? I thought I could use blk pipe and put a floor flange on the bottom to help level my rig. Am I missing something or is it a special size??????????????

Thanks

Sugarmaker
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
briduhunt,
Yes I ran into the same thing. I have a older 3/ 10 King arch. I bought special size solid bar stock and had the upper end of each leg threaded. Also bought special nuts to allow adjustment. I don't remember the sizes but it was not a cheap date. I wanted these to fit right and be adjustable to level the arch. May have been a little over kill but they are still right there. Not sure why these are a odd size.

Chris

lpakiz
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Do you suppose they are 1-inch NC threads? That would be available in 1-NC (or NF) reddi-bolt stuff...you know--the 3 foot threaded rod stuff.
If it is 1-inch NC, you might also find 1-inch bolts ($$$) at a industrial supply place or hardware supplier in close to the correct length?? You might need a jam nut to lock in place...

Sugarmaker
01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
These were odd sizes and the casting in the arch is not threaded so I put two nuts on each leg to allow positioning the locking. Before I got done I had to cut some off of one set and weld on a stub to the other. I thought I had the correct height until I had to adjust the arch higher in the back. I did not want to just through shims under the legs. Moral of the story measure twice cut once.
You might be able to see these in some of the pictures in the sugar house on our web site.

Chris

Flat47
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Not too sure about the older Leaders, but the older Small Brothers (from 1991 or so) used a single bolt on the backside of the casting. Those legs were loose if the bolts weren't well tightened. It's fairly easy to drill and tap the castings, and may be less expensive, too.

Haynes Forest Products
01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Plumbing pipe and steel tubing are meaured differantly. Try a steel supply and go for the heavy guage.

maple flats
01-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I had an older 2x6 Leader, likely early to mid 80's and the legs were black pipe. The leg fit slightly loose into the leg fitting and the pipes were threaded so a heavy nut in pipe thread was turned to adjust height. If the 1" did not fit in the 3/4 was likely the size. If that is way too loose just call Leader and ask them. I called with a couple of questions when I started and they answered the questions.