PDA

View Full Version : Arch board II

hookhill
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
In regards to the arch board....We just bought a 2.5x5 syrup pan to add to the arch. This involved cutting the arch and lengthening it. All the arch board that was in there (three seasons) basically disenigrated when we tried to take it out. So the questions are....how long is this stuff supposed to last, is there anything else out there that might work better, how well does it insulate after a few years?

markct
01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
arch board is supposed to be used behind bricks i believe, so im surprised it would disintegrate like you say it did, but at the same time by disintegrate do ya mean fell out, or broke when ya tried to remove it? its somewhat fragile to begin with but its not realy under any load once its in place so i dont imagine that it would "go bad" if undisturbed

brookledge
01-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I would think as long as you don't remove the bricks the arch board should stay just fine. It may become fragile but there is no roo for it to move provided the bricks stay put.
Keith

hookhill
01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes it fell apart when trying to remove it. It seemed to have lost much of its loft and rigidity. It was far removed from a new piece of archboard. There should be something out there that is better.

Haynes Forest Products
01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Why cant you put blanket down first and just brick up against it. You can compress the blanket so its down to about 1"

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't know this to be true, but Leader says the blanket behind brick is bad about sweating thru the spring, summer, fall and when winter comes, they have actually seen firebrick and the arch damaged from all the moisture that has accumulated and frozen.

themapleking
01-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I use 1/2" blanket than brick it. Works just fine never had a problem with sweating. Done a few arches this way. I have never used the broad because I've been told it breaks up. I know the blanket has a higher temp rating.
What ever you use make sure the morter is not too wet. That might been your problem. Make sure it's 60 degrees or warmer so the morter doesn't freeze when setting. Add warm heat to if need be