PDA

View Full Version : Old Concentrate

swierczt
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I was cleaning out my freezer and found four gallons of concentrated sap....not quite syrup...from last season. I must have stored in during a warm spell and never got back to it. I have a small evap. and I usually boil in batches and store the 'concentrate' until I have enough to boil it down to syrup and filter. My questions is this: would you use try boiling this down? I was thinking of thawing it out towads the end of this season and mixing it with some end of season darker stuff and see what happens....any thoughts?

ennismaple
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Should be fine. A freezer keeps bacteria from growing. Do as you mentioned and finish it at the end of the season when you're making roofing tar anyways.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Depends on the type of container you had it stored in, it may have a bad freezer taste to it now.

swierczt
01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
It's stored in 1 gal. jugs sold by maplepro.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
If it's one gallon syrup jugs or jugs with a thicker wall, then it should be fine as long as they lids are nice and snug.

brookledge
01-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Why don't you just boil it down in the house. With it being close to syrup already there won't be much more boiling. So it is not going to take the wall paper off. Or just keep it till sugaring season like the others said.
Keith