PDA

View Full Version : Draw off bucket.

Lyle
01-09-2009, 08:22 AM
For anyone who needs a S.S. pail for drawing off but doesn't want to pay the 80 to 100 dollars that seems to be the regular price, check out Tractor Supply. I picked up a bucket ( about 3 gal.) for $25. They also carry a smaller one for about $12. It's a little lighter built but not bad.

Amber Gold
01-09-2009, 08:33 AM
That's where I got mine from too. Couldn't justify paying over $100 for a s/s pail.

Fred Henderson
01-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Mine was given to me.

caseyssugarshack93
01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
ebay has 13qtfood grade stainless steel pails for 30 bucks. good deal.

porbably go to tractor supply and look and see what they got im gunna get 2 from somehwere but need somthing to draw off and need a canner.

jrthe3
01-09-2009, 08:01 PM
burger king where i got mine food grade 10 qt stainless bucket used in there milk shake machine

Sugarmaker
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Good suggestion at Tractor supply and good value!. A good stainless bucket is handy as a pocket in a shirt.
I have a large 5 gal Surge milk bucket that my dad used to carry milk in for 20 years. it has a nice flat lid also. Its so heavy when full I don't use it much. I found one in a barn that had been left with water and it froze and broke the handle. I had that soldered back on and that's what I use to transfer syrup with. Its about a 2.5 gal. Guess I am to cheap to buy any thing I don't have to.:)

Chris

tapper
01-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Bought mine at Tractor Supply a year ago and it still looks like new.

deacm
02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Given that the syrup doesn't stay in this pail very long, is it safe to use one of those aluminum containers (with the advantage of it having an integrated draw off spigot) that you buy as part of a propane turkey/chicken fryer unit? Thanks.

bowtie
02-26-2013, 07:47 AM
i bought 2 16qt ss pails from katom for about $38 each, they are a good "heavy" pail and alot cheaper than the ones in maple catalogs. i looked for used milk pails but around my area good luck most ss pails and containers are long gone(sold).

SevenCreeksSap
02-27-2013, 05:29 AM
I got the tractor supply bucket too and the good thing is they are really a milking pail. thats good because its one piece at the bottom, so no seam to hold sap in which may stay there and cause contamination problems. That matters in milking so logically matters in syrup, and easier to clean.

northwoods_forestry
02-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Given that the syrup doesn't stay in this pail very long, is it safe to use one of those aluminum containers (with the advantage of it having an integrated draw off spigot) that you buy as part of a propane turkey/chicken fryer unit? Thanks.

I'd avoid using aluminum. I tried using an aluminum stock pot a few years back and found that it tarnished quickly and imparted a metallic taste to the syrup. Stainless is the way to go.