PDA

View Full Version : Fan on vaccum pump

backyardsugarer
01-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I have a dairy pump that I will be running about 1000 taps with. I see a lot of discussion about keeping them cool and that having a liquid ring pump can run much higher vaccum. Would it help at all to have a large fan pointed at the unit to help keep it cool. I realize I would not be able to crank it up much above 20" but was wondering your take on it. Thanks.

caseyssugarshack93
01-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I hurd alot of guys use fans blowing on there delaval vane pumps to keep them cool and they said it helps out alot.

just my two cents

nate

Haynes Forest Products
01-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Heat is the enemy of most pumps and motors so good air is a big help. On the vane type pumps that use a oil dripper more oil = cooler running temps and cooler running temps= higher HGs

mapleman3
01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes it has been discussed, I have a Delaval 74 and runs great with a box fan all day at 19"

paul
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
backyarder

we run a 5/16 line out of our permiate tank onto the top of our 71/2hp milk pump and we run about 21in all season long with no problems.

Paul

danno
01-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I run a box fan on my Deleval 75 and it helps some as well. I know there has been some discussion about different oils keeping fans cooler as well. But I can't remember what type of oil was mentioned. Maybe someone will chime in on this.

Haynes Forest Products
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Mapleman3 What type of oil system do you have on the pump. I would like to know what temps others are running the pumps at?

tuckermtn
01-09-2009, 07:35 AM
we have a household box fan blowing on our SP-11. ran at 21-23 most of seaon (we would shut down at night since it was right behind someones house) As for oil in the pump, we have used non-detergent oil- but after visiting with a sugarmaker in NY a few weeks ago I may try some AMSOIL syntehetic (I think) compressor oil...supposed to keep em nice a cool...

backyardsugarer
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Great, thanks. I have an oil reclaimer on it so would someone let me know the best oil to run? I will go with a fan, now all I have to do is figure out the oil. I will be at the NYS conference tomorrow so if you are going I will see you there. Thanks for all the input so far.

Chris

Grade "A"
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a Deleval 73. I run syntehetic 30w oil in it. I run a box fan also. I run around 22"-23" of vac. I made a muffler that reclaims most of the oil. I only used about 1 1/2 quarts last year. I don't run it at night and check the temp during the day but it never is to hot to touch. This pump will pull up over 26" of vac, so the air that is sucked by the vac. regulator and through the pump also helps cool it down.

Haynes Forest Products
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Grade A when you say its not to hot to touch............would you be able to keep your hand on it for 30 seconds.

Grade "A"
01-10-2009, 07:10 AM
I think you could. I put my hand on it for about 10 seconds then my A.D.D. kicks in and I do something else. I may be just lucky that my pump runs a little cooler than most. I have a high temp shut off that came with a water pump I have, that might work good as a safty feature to shut off the vac. pump if it gets to hot.

danno
01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Yea - I was surprised when you said your 73 does not get hot. My 75 gets plenty hot even with the box fan and I only run it at 18 or 19. They are designed to run at 15 for dairy I believe. Any other suggestions for oil?

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Depends what type of oiler you have is it the drip type or suction from the oil reservoir or the diafram type with a bottle on top. If its a drip system you want the oil to last so it cant be to thin like tranny fluid you want it to stick and lube the bearings and vanes. On my system I have a flood type that dumps alot directly into the intake and bearings and then into a oil reclaimer into a 5 gallon tank threw a oil cooler and back to the pump. When I crank down the intake I get up to 26 HG and it runs hot to the touch but not spit sizziling hot. I dead headed the intake for about an hour and it was ok. I lose about 3 HGs just with the oil system.