PDA

View Full Version : more pan questions

03weim
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I am finishing my homemade evaporator it has room for a 2x3 pan my question is am I better off doing 2 18"x24 pans with one that has dropped tubes like Rileysugerbush used on one of his pans or a large single pan with a preheater pan on top like stainless steel creations sells? also how do you get syrup out dropped tubes like that? sorry for the long post.

dano2840
01-08-2009, 08:33 AM
those long tubes are supposed to be like your flue pan, your not supposed to be making the syrup in those pans, they should be connected to a flat pan and the flat pan is where you will make your syrup

03weim
01-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks Dano, my next question how do you get boiled sap out of a dropped flue, also if I do the 2 pan setup which one should be in front the flat or dropped pan. this will be my first year with an evaporator I'm still new this only my 4th year and I have never seen an evaporator in person only pictures on line, we built this following other peoples posts

RileySugarbush
01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I just ladled from the back drop tube pan to the front flat pan as required to keep the front pan at the level I wanted. I had a steady feed to the back pan. My pans were hanging down in the fire so there was no good way to connect them as you would in a traditional setup.

dano2840
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
i think what your asking is how do you get it out of the flues,
to answer your question it wont be any more concentrated in the flues its the same through out the whole pan just ladel it from the back to the front pan (if you dont have the plumbing todo it for you) but it will come out of the flues on its owne.

caseyssugarshack93
01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
your syrup pan Flat pan should be in the front and you flue pan should be in the back. and how i get the syrup out of my flues is put sap in my flue pan and it pushes the syrup or boiled sap thats more denice in the syrup pan and the less dence stuff stays in the flue. and at the end of the season i use water instead of sap since i wont have anymore sap and bloil till i have have my syrup in my syrup pan

hope this helps

nate

03weim
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks Nate for the info, but after getting local prices for stainless I ordered a pan off ebay from Patrick Phaneuf. I don't know how he can sell it for those prices and make money. Plus his pan will be better than what we could make.