PDA

View Full Version : treesavers vs. metal

The Butcher
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Last year was my first year. I had about half plastic treesaver taps and half the old style larger metal taps.

I found that I got much more sap from the metal taps. Is this because the holes are larger? I also noticed that the plastic taps seemed to freeze up and take longer to thaw and start flowing agian.

Is this accurate?

dano2840
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
they run at different times is what ive found, i have run treesaver bucket spouts and the old 7/16 on the same tree before and they both ran the same, but the pipe and the buckets run at different times. if you have a larger pipe system ( with a mainline, and 50 taps on it) it will create a natural vacuum and you will get the about the same amount per tap as you buckets, i ran 2 taps per line into a 5 gal bucket and some ran ok and some hardly ran when the bucket ones always ran well, i think pipe is really for a bush with at least 50 taps and main line
my.02

The Butcher
01-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I do not run a mainline. the treesaver taps that I am using are on large trees where two lines are run into the same bucket or two trees close together with both lines running to the same bucket on the ground.

caseyssugarshack93
01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
If you have the money for stainlees spouts thoes are the way to go put for my sugarbush i use the 5/16 treesaver spouts, however,The tree saver spouts help the tree heal alot faster then the bigger 7/16 spouts. and with very little lost of sap if any at all with the 5/16. i love the tree saver spouts in my book there the way to go

nate

3% Solution
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi guys,
I'm going to pick up 60 tree saver spouts for buckets this year.
At that point all our taps will be tree saver or health spouts.
As said earlier, it's better for the trees.

Dave

dano2840
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I do not run a mainline. the treesaver taps that I am using are on large trees where two lines are run into the same bucket or two trees close together with both lines running to the same bucket on the ground.

i had that same problem with my 2 taps into a bucket on line, i think there isnt enough vacuum created on those 2 taps in the tubing, im not sure,

maplecrest
01-08-2009, 09:01 AM
reading this i see you have 2 big trees and 2 little trees right? if so the big trees are slower to thaw out but will run longer. and the little trees will thaw quick but not run as long.