PDA

View Full Version : Quick connects in mainline

dano2840
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I was wondering if you put a quick connect (quick couplers,cam locks, what ever your name for them is) in my main line where it crosses my log road can i do this with out loosing vac? are they air tight? has any one done this before?

jason grossman
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
danO, i have installed a few road crossings. Cam locks are ok. they do have a large amount of restriction in them. I also try not to put alot of tension on them as they work by the cams pulling them together. so if the tube has alot of tension it MAY cause a small leak. the best are the stainless ones that are full flow with the silicone o ring in the middle. no restriction and a great seal. however they are pricey $40+ , the cams can be purchased for $8. so answer your question, no problem!

markct
01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
i have put together one road crossing with one of the threaded pvc pope unions it was only about 4 bucks for a 3/4 inch one at the hardware store and it goes together easy cause ya can kinda draw it together. the wire ends on both sides of the road, and across the road i have just a cable with a ratchet tie down strap to tension it. seems to go together well but of course i wont know for sure how it works till a couple months when its flowing! wow less that two months, i gota go get to work

ennismaple
01-07-2009, 06:55 PM
We used a cam lock quick connect last year where a 3/4" mainline goes across the road to our new bush. It didn't leak but we used a roap to tie the mainline back to a post to take the pressure off the quick connect. This year we're putting in a sap ladder instead.

Haynes Forest Products
01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I have alot of the cam lock quick connects and love them. I dont have leaks or problems with them pulling apart. I got mine at Fleet and Farm and they are full flow and you can get plugs and caps for them. I put valves on both sides of the coupler so when I disconnect I dont waste vacuum or sap.

dano2840
01-08-2009, 08:22 AM
i was going to put valves on all my branch lines but my mothers boy friend is afraid some one might close them ( there have been alot of tracks up into my sugar woods and they arent mine) do they make valves you can lock, should i just use brass valves and just take the handle off?

Haynes Forest Products
01-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I would take the handle off and wire tie the cam locks. I would think that if someone screws with the valve they will screw with the quick connect.

caseyssugarshack93
01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Id do the same, im pad locking everyything i have vac pump,releaser, tanks etc.

brookledge
01-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I would think that if someone has the intent or desire to mess with your tubing in the bush like closing a valve then why wouldn't they just cut lines witha knife or pull out taps etc.
Keith

dano2840
01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
well there have been some little kids up there, like the guy who im going to collect in his drive way has been showing people around and the little kids poke and prod at every thing, but some one might shut a valve and not but the pipe because if some one cut the pipe they know that i would probably get all my hunting budies together and track them right to their house! plus i would buy a deer trail cam and catch them on camera, some people are strange like that but thats what a tree stand and an air soft gun is for!!!! catch them in the act then pepper their back or a paint ball gun plus walking up and closing a valve takes less time than cutting the pipe or pulling out the taps,

Snow Hill Farm
02-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm replying to this thread rather than start new because it talks about quick connect or cam lok leaks. I have a few at road crossings under no tension and I can hear them leaking when up close. Other than changing out has anyone found a way to stop this? I was thinking maybe a thin wrap of tape around the male end? I'm not sure how much vacuum I'm actually loosing but when you can hear it it's got to be something...

DrTimPerkins
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm replying to this thread rather than start new because it talks about quick connect or cam lok leaks. I have a few at road crossings under no tension and I can hear them leaking when up close. Other than changing out has anyone found a way to stop this? I was thinking maybe a thin wrap of tape around the male end? I'm not sure how much vacuum I'm actually loosing but when you can hear it it's got to be something...

There are at least two major brands of cam-lock mainline fittings. You need to make absolutely sure that both sides (male and female) are of the same brand and that they locking mechanism is firmly clamped down. We use cam-locks in a few places (only if truly needed) without any trouble.

GeneralStark
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM

The gaskets can be replaced and should be every so often as they do break down and become compressed. Obviously this will cause a leak. For a quick fix you could probably use some silicone sealant.

Snow Hill Farm
02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty sure they would be the same brand but I will check and see for sure and I also have a couple of extra new around I can switch out, they are definitly clamped down.... I just wonder if there is anything other than changing them I could do.... Any idea where the gaskets can be found?

Maplewalnut
02-16-2012, 01:10 PM
I have actually doubled up the gaskets with good luck. Its a bear to get them clamped down but they sure are snug tight. Wire tie it togther and your good to go.