PDA

View Full Version : Round Two - more ice coming...

Clan Delaney
01-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Issued by The National Weather Service
Boston, MA
3:58 pm EST, Tue., Jan. 6, 2009

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

THIS WARNING INCLUDES HARTFORD COUNTY CONNECTICUT... AS WELL AS SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE REGION THIS EVENING. HOWEVER... WARMER AIR ALOFT WILL FORCE THE SNOW TO CHANGE TO A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN BETWEEN 2 AM AND 5 AM.

SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCRETIONS OF ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF INCH ARE EXPECTED ALONG AND NORTHWEST OF THE INTERSTATE 84 CORRIDOR... AS WELL THE HIGHER TERRAIN OR SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS WEDNESDAY. WEDNESDAY NIGHT WILL CONTINUE TO BE SLIPPERY... AS MIXED PRECIPITATION CHANGES BACK OVER TO SNOW OR SNOW SHOWERS.

THE 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION IN ADDITION TO THE GLAZE... WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL PROBLEMS LATER TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

UNTREATED SURFACES WILL BE SLIPPERY FOR THE WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE... SO PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. TRAVEL WILL BE SLOW AT BEST ON WELL TREATED SURFACES... AND QUITE DIFFICULT ON ANY UNPLOWED OR UNTREATED SURFACES.

This is when I hate being a homeowner... I stood outside by back door tonite just staring at my elder maple that towers over my house thinking, you stay right there. I don't need any part of you in my kitchen, and you've got work to do this Spring.

I think I might go pour some Fancy Grade A out in the yard and hope the gods accept my offering.

In the meantime, we're filling the tub, charging the cell phones, brewing coffee, digging out the camp stove, lining up the flashlights and super-heating the house in case we lose power. It's a balmy 64 degrees in here right now. It hasn't been that warm in this house since August!

Everyone stay safe.

MaplePancakeMan
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Clan ... lets not get into this haha. This is gonna add insult to injury for some of us. I follow meteorology and i had a feeling when they were calling for snow that this one would be more Freezing Rain. Calling for .5"-.75" of ice with 1-3" of snow here which would bring our trees down again and surely snap any over stressed branch from the last storm.

Stay safe guys! and fire the generators up

WF MASON
01-07-2009, 03:12 AM
I don't like to run with Al Gore , but our coldest morning here so far this winter has been -5' below , the news/weather forcasters make people believe its the end of the world being 'that' cold. What sucks about getting older?Alot , but if you can remember back,(thoses who wern't at woodstock)most of you old folks here, like this-
One of my first cars was a '69 chevy impala straight six,standard shift on the column (four door even,lucky me), I remember it being -38'below and that was the only thing in the dooryard that would start, so dad took that to work for three days straight until it warmed enough for his scout to start.
I know alot of people who still remember starting a fire under the skidder to warm it to start it and not freeze to death, or having to start a fire while setting beaver traps to keep warm and not freeze to death. We just don't have the cold we used to. It seems like something has changed.

Fred Henderson
01-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Bill, How well I remember those days. Back in the 50's when I was still in school I remember it being 42 below, nothing started in the neighborhood and the farmers hauled their milk with a team of horses.

3% Solution
01-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Yeah ok, so I would walk to school up hill both ways, in the snow ............
Ahhhh just kidding ya!!
Seriously, I can remember pretty cold weather not to long ago, '78 / '79 time frame, it never got above 10 during the day for two weeks and down to -25 to -30 at night !
I think this is all cycles the earth goes through.
I remember in high school ('70's time frame) they said we were headed back toward the ice age as the glaciers were growing.
I thought, holy crap it's going to be cold in the summers and how do we grow food!!!!!!
It's all hyp(??), it's those **** do gooders again!!!
The media is always looking for a GOOD STORY, even if they have to blow it up a bit.
Now, I don't disagree with you that our winter weather has changed, more rain.
I still think it's a cycle.
Snowing here, about an inch so far.
Stay safe out there folks!!

Dave

maple flats
01-07-2009, 07:18 AM
And I remember it being -20 and colder for a week back in the early 60's when i had to walk my 5 mile paper route because the wind would have been too much to ride my bike which i did most of the time even in winter compliments of home done studded snow tires , a project I took from Boy's Life, a Boy Scout Magazine. Some of those days were -30. I also remember one scout camping /training trip from when I was a scout master in the 80's some real cold. The training was called GAWASA, which meant snow snake in some indian tongue. On that trip the scouts occupied half of the scout camp and a training exercise of the Air Force had the other side. On Saturday the air force was out doing training on what they called cross country skiis and the scouts were busy building snow shelters. Just before dark the air force decided it was too cold (-32 at that time) and went back to Griffiths Air Force Base. The scouts stayed the night in snow shelters and it was -42 in the morning at the camp rangers house at the bottom of the hill. I do not know what the temp was in the camping area. Inside the snow shelters it was about 28 above. Sure didn't want to crawl out of the sleeping bag when nature called that day. All of the scouts did quite well, their training had served them well. When we packed out to the bottom of the hill to the cars only 1 would start out of about 25 or so, but with jumper cables we got the rest going. That was my coldest campout ever, and at my age i don't think I want to try it again. One of the fathers on that trip did however say he would NEVER go on a winter campout EVER again, but his son continued on and attained the rank of Eagle Scout.

Fred Henderson
01-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah ok, so I would walk to school up hill both ways, in the snow ............
Ahhhh just kidding ya!!
Seriously, I can remember pretty cold weather not to long ago, '78 / '79 time frame, it never got above 10 during the day for two weeks and down to -25 to -30 at night !
I think this is all cycles the earth goes through.
I remember in high school ('70's time frame) they said we were headed back toward the ice age as the glaciers were growing.
I thought, holy crap it's going to be cold in the summers and how do we grow food!!!!!!
It's all hyp(??), it's those **** do gooders again!!!
The media is always looking for a GOOD STORY, even if they have to blow it up a bit.
Now, I don't disagree with you that our winter weather has changed, more rain.
I still think it's a cycle.
Snowing here, about an inch so far.
Stay safe out there folks!!

Dave

Didn't you mean to say that you were bare footed in the summer also. LOL

3% Solution
01-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Hey Fred,
Good catch!!!!!
Didn't put in about the loose leaf notebook and the bear either, thought it would bore you guys!!!
What are you getting for weather this morning?

Clan Delaney
01-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Did everyone in the storm path fare well? Got a lot or rain/sleet/snow here, in many combinations, but very little freezing rain. No complaints.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-08-2009, 04:13 AM
Up North here in NY we got mostly snow. There is about 8". Quite heavy due to the mixed sleet. Gotta clean out but it should not be a major problem. Next few days prediction is for Brrrrrrrr! Some highs in the single digits. Of course that is normal North Country Winter but it sure makes the finger work tougher.
Doug

SV Sugarer
01-08-2009, 07:37 AM
This storm was much more bearable than the last. Only about 1/8" to 1/4" ice on trees where we are. No damage (most of that was done last month) and only lost power for a few hours over night.

Homestead Maple
01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Extreme Alaska cold grounds planes, disables cars

Steve Quinn, Associated Press Writer – Thu Jan 8, 5:59 am ET AP
JUNEAU, Alaska – Ted Johnson planned on using a set of logs to a build a cabin in Alaska's interior. Instead he'll burn some of them to stay warm.

Extreme temperatures — in Johnson's case about 60 below zero — call for extreme measures in a statewide cold snap so frigid that temperatures have grounded planes, disabled cars, frozen water pipes and even canceled several championship cross country ski races.

Alaskans are accustomed to subzero temperatures but the prolonged conditions have folks wondering what's going on with winter less than a month old.

National Weather Service meteorologist Andy Brown said high pressure over much of central Alaska has been keeping other weather patterns from moving through. New conditions get pushed north or south while the affected area faces daily extremes.

"When it first started almost two weeks ago, it wasn't anything abnormal," Brown said. "About once or twice every year, we get a good cold snap. But, in this case, you can call this an extreme event. This is rare. It doesn't happen every year."

Temperatures sit well below zero in the state's various regions, often without a wisp of wind pushing down the mercury further.

Johnson lives in Stevens Village, where residents have endured close to two weeks of temperatures pushing 60 below zero.

The cold has kept planes grounded, Johnson said. Food and fuel aren't coming in and they're starting to run low in the village, about 90 miles northwest of Fairbanks.

Johnson, whose home has no heater or running water, said he ventures outside only to get more logs for burning and to fetch water from a community facility. He's been saving the wood to build a cabin as a second home, but that will have to wait a few years now because the heat takes precedence.

"I've never seen it this cold for this long," he said. "I remember it 70 below one time, but not for a week and a half."

In Anchorage, Alaska's largest city, residents are used to lows of about 10-degree temperatures in January — not 19 below zero, which is what folks awoke to Wednesday morning.

Temperatures finally settled to about 10 below at midday, but that was cold enough to cancel races in the U.S. Cross Country Ski Championships.

Skiers won't compete unless it's warmer than 4 below zero, but the numbers have ranged between 10 below and 15 below.

That has led to four days of canceled or postponed competition with organizers hoping to get a set of races under way on Thursday, the event's final day.

Cold nuff for ya?

3% Solution
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
WOW ............. -60 in Alaska, must be global cooling up there!!!

Clan,
Yesterday we got about 2" of snow, then the wind started to come in from the East (right off the ocean) with some rain, sleet, snow.
All the time the temperature was 26.
Didn't get much ice build-up.
About 6 pm it was back to snow, another 2".
It's windy here with some snow showers, which by the looks of the radar are coming from the great lakes.

Now, we have to break you in!!!!! :-)

MaplePancakeMan
01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
had about 1/3" of ice but trees held up well and the temp thankfully rose above freezing long enough to melt most of it off before returning to freezing rain. It would have been a repeat if the temp didn't rise like it did.

DaveB
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't like to run with Al Gore , but our coldest morning here so far this winter has been -5' below , the news/weather forcasters make people believe its the end of the world being 'that' cold. What sucks about getting older?Alot , but if you can remember back,(thoses who wern't at woodstock)most of you old folks here, like this-
One of my first cars was a '69 chevy impala straight six,standard shift on the column (four door even,lucky me), I remember it being -38'below and that was the only thing in the dooryard that would start, so dad took that to work for three days straight until it warmed enough for his scout to start.
I know alot of people who still remember starting a fire under the skidder to warm it to start it and not freeze to death, or having to start a fire while setting beaver traps to keep warm and not freeze to death. We just don't have the cold we used to. It seems like something has changed.

I read this and smiled. Parts of Maine were -50 last week for two days in a row....that ties the all time coldest temp in New England set back in the '30s. That cold enough for you? I don't think it get's much colder than the coldest it's ever been. No. NH and Vt were in the -40s at the same time.

I agree about the news caster part...we were only -10 down in So . New England while the deep cold was going on in No. New England but you would have thought we were up there. Funny how that works...

Dave