PDA

View Full Version : fittings for a vacuum gauge?

dano2840
01-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Im running 3/4 and 1/2 and i was wondering what fittings i would use for a vac gauge on my line, do you use a T w/ 1/2 iron pipe thread and just reduce it down to the size of the vac gauge?

maplwrks
01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I use an insert manifold and reduce it w/bushings.

brookledge
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Dano
You got it. Unless you are usin very large mainline where you can tap threads right into the pipe.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
01-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Try and keep the steel out of the system it just rusts up. You can drill and tap into a poly fitting one that doesnt have alot of strain on it. If you dont want to spend the money on a tap just drill the hole slightly smaller than the threads and screrw it in with a taperd thread on the guage it will seal up just fine.

dano2840
01-06-2009, 11:44 AM
how much is a vac gauge going to run me?

dano2840
01-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Try and keep the steel out of the system it just rusts up. You can drill and tap into a poly fitting one that doesnt have alot of strain on it. If you dont want to spend the money on a tap just drill the hole slightly smaller than the threads and screrw it in with a taperd thread on the guage it will seal up just fine.

if i were to drill a slightly smaller hole and screw it in should i use thread tape still or no?

Haynes Forest Products
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I woulnt worry about tape if your putting into poly but yes if its into brass or steel. I can tell you that if your putting two poly fittings together use tape so if you want to get them apart it will help. When it squeaks its done if you dont use tape.......make sure its food grade tape HeHe

brookledge
01-06-2009, 08:55 PM
A basic vac gauge about 15 bucks
Keith

danno
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
I've been getting my guages from Graingers for about $7 - but they only seem to hold up for a couple of seasons. Just make sure you buy vacuum guages, not pressure guages. They look similar and pressure guages are alot more common.

dano2840
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
vac gauges have cfm right instead of psi?

jason grossman
01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
vacuum is measured in inches mercury , "Hg, but it all depends on what you buy. mine are in "Hg and psi. i do run compressed air to help clean lines so I can measure both.

dano2840
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
so let me get this straight so if the gauge said 3 HG then i would have 3 inches of vac right?????

Russell Lampron
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Right you would have 3" of vacuum if the gauge read 3 Hg.

dano2840
01-07-2009, 06:53 PM
i was talking to my ucle about my vac pump i finally got some oil for it, (need to get some forma gasket though) but i plugged it in and let it run. and i wanted to see if it had anny suction to it as the thing was given to me, so i had no idea of its condition, but if your hand is 5" away from the pipe it sucks your hand right up to it, my uncle said i will need a regulator, and he said that i could just put a ball valve right in the suction line right up near the pump and that would work, is that essentially the same thing as buying one of those 85$ vac regulators that bascom sells??

brookledge
01-07-2009, 08:35 PM
If you want to set it up right you need a vac regulator. The use of a ball valve is not your best bet.
Here is why.
When you turn it on in the morning or say you have it set up on a temp switch the sap is just starting to flow and many lines may still be frozen. So at this point the regulator will be letting in alot of air. Then as the sap begins to flow faster and each tree gives off CO2 in the form of bubbles in the tubing the regulator will close to compensate. Then as the temps drop at night it will open up again.
I know of a producer nearbye that uses a ball valve and unless he is around when it freezes up his pump begins to heat up and smoke.
So with a ball valve you either need to be constantly opening or closeing to keep the desired amount of vac. Or you will be too low or too high and could cause damage to your pump.
How many CFM's is you pump. You can get a spring loaded one for $15 plus or minus.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Dano inches of vacuum is mesured by how far mercury will rise up into a tube. As the vacuum increases the higher the column of mercury. Now for the fun part its the atmosfer that pushes the mercury up the tube. Sap is not sucked down the tubing its pushed buy the outside atmosfer into the void. OK one more thing its called pressure differental liquid will move from high pressure to low pressure............SHUT UP CHUCK

dano2840
01-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Dano inches of vacuum is mesured by how far mercury will rise up into a tube. As the vacuum increases the higher the column of mercury. Now for the fun part its the atmosfer that pushes the mercury up the tube. Sap is not sucked down the tubing its pushed buy the outside atmosfer into the void. OK one more thing its called pressure differental liquid will move from high pressure to low pressure............SHUT UP CHUCK

ooookkkk.................hhmmm should pay more attention in chem class

dano2840
01-08-2009, 08:18 AM
If you want to set it up right you need a vac regulator. The use of a ball valve is not your best bet.
Here is why.
When you turn it on in the morning or say you have it set up on a temp switch the sap is just starting to flow and many lines may still be frozen. So at this point the regulator will be letting in alot of air. Then as the sap begins to flow faster and each tree gives off CO2 in the form of bubbles in the tubing the regulator will close to compensate. Then as the temps drop at night it will open up again.
I know of a producer nearbye that uses a ball valve and unless he is around when it freezes up his pump begins to heat up and smoke.
So with a ball valve you either need to be constantly opening or closeing to keep the desired amount of vac. Or you will be too low or too high and could cause damage to your pump.
How many CFM's is you pump. You can get a spring loaded one for $15 plus or minus.
Keith

i have no idea how many cfms my pump is, ive never had it hooked up to a gauge, i ran it yesterday for the first time and it can suck my hand to the pipe when its 5" away. its a Leiman air pump model C. it was given to me so i have no knowlage of the thing, where could i get this regulator, i cant aford to spend 85$ on one from bascoms

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
GO TO SEARCH type in vac regulator you should find a site that had them for 19.00 i think

RICH