PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw Problem

MaplePancakeMan
01-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Being that most of you or a lot of you use wood to fire the evaporator you use a lot of chainsaws and most of you are probably pretty decent at diagnosing problems.

So thats where my question falls. I was using the chainsaw and it was just rebuilt new cylinder and piston in November. it started right up after that and would idle forever. Recently i used it for the ice storm damage about 2-3 weeks ago and it wouldn't idle right but would start right back up and run fine. Now i started it today and it was running rough didn't seem to be getting to its full power.

Now i have a separate mix tank for this saw as i run it a little richer then normal as to protect the cylinder and i was thinking back as to how old it is and its gotta be 5 months old is this probably the culprit? or what else might it be? seems like the gas just might not be combusting like it should be. Gonna try new gas and mix tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks in advance!

brookledge
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
It could be the gas but I would think it should be ok for 5 months.
your saw could have other issues like the rubber boot from the carb to the reed valves or the carb it self needs to be cleaned or ajusted.
But I would agree the simplest and easiest is try the gas first. Don't through out the older gas incase that wasn't the problem
Keith

peacemaker
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
mix stabil into the gas and check your plug it might be fouled if u are mixing a bit heavy

dano2840
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
check the simple things like air filter, spark plug, then take the carb cover off and just make sure all those little holes arent plugged with saw dust. what u explained has happened exactly to me 2 times, the 1st time it was my air filter was clogged, the second i had a plugged hole in my carb, i think it was the fuel in hole that goes to the fuel pump but dont remember.

MaplePancakeMan
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Sounds good guys, i'll check that stuff out tomorrow after work... i figure its gotta be something with the little stuff, like its not drawing in enough air or gas or both if its not the gas. Then i'll move to the spark plug. I will have to get it working because there are far too many trees to be cleaned up still. I've got another saw but this ones got the big bar.

Thanks again

Big maple
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I had the same prolem with mine and it ended up being the pick-up tube. the tube had cracked where it went into the gas tank.

MaplePancakeMan
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
big maple how much does that cost to fix?

Haynes Forest Products
01-04-2009, 10:57 PM
One of the most over looked items is the spark arrester screen. It will make a saw act crazy. Take the muffler apart and take the screens out and with a Burnsomatic torch heat it red hot and then brush the crap off. Had new saws clog up that had bad gas go threw them and clog the screen. When they run rich they will build up alot of carbon and you need to heat over I think 1400 degrees to clear it. Let me Know.

maplecrest
01-05-2009, 05:55 AM
with the ethonal added in gas, you need to add a splash of dry gas.ethonal attracts water and causes saws to run rough. not all dry gases are for 2 cycle engines read the label. solved my problems. also use higher octain gas like 89 or 93

peacemaker
01-05-2009, 06:43 AM
haynes beat me too it i remebered last night about the screens it make your saw do just what u said

3% Solution
01-05-2009, 06:49 AM
A friend of mine works on saws and he says that most of the time it's a gas problem, especially with homeowners.
I had a trimmer doing the same, put new gas in and ran completely different.
Gasoline, even with stabil, will not last over 6 months.
So, if that gas is 5 months old, get some fresh gas.
I get the oil that has stabil in it.
Just my thoughts.

Dave

jason grossman
01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
there are several good anwsers here! chainsaws are really simply fuel/air in exhaust out. so i would check the clunk (fuel filter), the debris screen in the carb, and the screen on the exhuast. along with gas that is were i would start. them after that i would go to the rubber boot between the carb and cylinder, pick up tube, gas tank vent, then carb adjustment. after that it might be a bigger problem.

HHM-07
01-05-2009, 08:01 AM
if you have been running it rich most likely your exhaust screen is pluged up , remove the cover and check the sceen.

Good luck Dick

gator330
01-05-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm thinking that if it was rebuilt in November. That saw needs to go back to the guy that did the work on it. May be now that it is broke in some it needs a little tune up and will be good to go.

802maple
01-05-2009, 08:33 AM
A chain saw mechanic friend says thank god to the 10% ethanol as it is a real problem with small engines if you don't keep fresh gas. He says it is job security.

dano2840
01-05-2009, 08:34 AM
try fresh gas and go through the carb, filters, etc just to really make sure things are cleaned up, if it is bad gas.... well youve got some good fuel for starting the fire in your evap!

RileySugarbush
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I had a spring on my choke come loose once. It ran fine but would occasionally crap out when the choke flopped partially closed. Simple fix but hard to find as the choke mechanism was inside the filter housing.

Big maple
01-05-2009, 03:15 PM
that pick-up tube is about five bucks. and it is a real pleasure to install.

maple flats
01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
For my saws I never keep gas over 2 months anymore. If it gets that old i put it in my truck and get fresh. And yes, high test is better for these small engines. I used to have problems similar to yours and it always proved to be the gas. I do however use enough that I hardly ever get gas that old even though i mix 2.5 or even 5 gal at a time. I also do some logging and have my own sawmill so they get a lot of use.

TapME
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
air filter or the pickup tube has a hole in it.