PDA

View Full Version : Log load firewood

Kevin
01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
What is the going rate for a log truck of firewood? I talked to 2 different loggers today. One said $1600 for a truckoad (12 cord) and the other told me somewhere between $1200 and $1400. With heating oil being under $2/gallon, I would have thought firewood prices would have dropped some.

gator330
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know about VT but here in NY $600 for a 18 cord load. I just let four loads go down the road for the use of a skidder and a man to run it. Just to pull out two loads for me. Other wise it would have payed About $100 per load, they pull it out. Now that was Soft maple tops. But I heat my house with a outside wood boiler on Soft maple. If it's dry it burn good.

gator330
01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Does VT have a 50 mile rule. Here in NY you can't transport fire wood more then 50 miles. Spread of Ash bore is the reason for that. Maybe part of the reason if your in a area were there is a lot of demand for fire wood. But to me that is just way to much to pay!!! You would be better off on oil at that price!!! For that kind of money it better be cut, split, delivered, wasahed and stacked!!!!!!!!

halfast tapper
01-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Around here you can get a tri axel load about 8 cord for 500 to 600 a load.
Truck and pup , about 10 to 12 cord 800 to 900 a load.

mapleman3
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
yeah here in Ma. too 8 cord load for around 600

I'm still working on my last load.....

Kevin
01-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Those prices sound more realistic, I think that I'll keeping looking because I can get wood that is split and delivered for $150/cord, wouldn't make a lot of sense to pay $133 and then have to do all the work

mapleman3
01-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Thats a no brainer..... they must be insane or greedy!!

peacemaker
01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
i dont know where u are in vt but try danny luke he is in arlington

maple maniac65
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I am paying $110.00/cord delivered 16' lengths. Cordwood is selling $275 green.

briduhunt
01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I just today paid $20.00 for 1 1/2 cord of slab wood. All hardwood, came in 8-12' sections and i cut it as I took it off the truck. My son and I did this in just over 2 hours. The guy has about 8-10 more bundles left from wood he did this spring and summer. Not much to split but I will be doing this in the shack as I need to. This is my first year with wood so I think I got a good deal.

Brian

brookledge
01-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I would think in the areas that had recent ice damage in general cordwood prices may go down. I know it still is a lot to work it up but there will be some people who have downed trees that they will cut up for fire wood when ordinarily they would not cut there own wood and would have bought it. So I think for a year or so the prices should come down. supply and demand. There will be a big supply and less demand
Keith

Amber Gold
01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I was going to get a grapple load of tree length this summer and it was going to run me $1200-1300 an 8 chord load. Thought that was pretty high when cordwood was going for $200-225 green. Fortunately I never got it because the week after the tornado came through and I ended up with 5-6 chord of good hardwood for free, minus my labor.

Not sure what prices are now, but I'll be looking for a load this spring to get it cut/split/stacked for next winters home heating wood. I hope they come down. That high of prices for grapple loads is hard to justify when I can pay a little more and have minimal labor.

dano2840
01-04-2009, 07:20 PM
you can get a truck and pup for about 700 down here im thinking of doing it and selling wood this summer

MaplePancakeMan
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Wish i had a big truck to go around picking up the trunks of the trees that are down here. I cut up 3 cords already at the girlfriends with probably another 2 to go and about 1 at my house with a little more to cut too. The streets are littered with trunks and not just soft wood some big red oaks. Fire wood will surely go down here at least initially.

WF MASON
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I had a customer in today that said the mills had stopped the loggers from hauling in , a logger had just stopped to see if he wanted to buy a truck load
for $100. a cord tree length.

tuckermtn
01-05-2009, 04:38 PM
hardwood pulp prices have tanked...they were really high this summer and into the fall since firewood demand was up - and pulp is the main comptetor for firewood- so prices for both were up...

now pulp prices have dropped from $45 per ton to $28 per ton at a local concentration yard.

cordwood prices are likely to go down- not that I want them to- but its likely.

-Eric

7810hunting
01-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Here in St.Marys,Pa. Atri-axle load of logs (green) goes for $650.

adk1
01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Up here 10 cord was $1000 last year log length. Two years ago I paid $50/cord log length

TapME
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
loggers here are filling the pulp yards just as fast as they can before they get cut off. I would assume that the price of fire wood will go down after that. Up here a wheeler load 8 cords is still a 1000.

sawyer40
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Around here there are no pulp yards. tri axle loads are still 1000.00 we can't buy logs for my mill there worth more as firewood. Most have lowered the price of firewood to 175.00. When fuel started down the phone quit ringing for wood.I had thought that after the first of the year things would die I was right. I have never had to make more work just to keep my employees busy. In 27 years of running a mill I have never had to look for something to do. I hope the new president can do something I don't know what. But I wouldn't want his job! There's no short term answer.

Parker
01-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Lets mellow out a littel with the calling loggers insane or greedy-try walking a mile in their shoes,,you know what it costs to keep a logging opperation going? When pulp prices are high it drives up firewood prices-supply and demand-why am I going to sell you a load for $650 (and sink thru your leach field with my truck-listen to you whine about too much brich in the load-have your check bounce) when I can drive over the scales and get $1200 at the pulp yard,,,,,and get my fuel-repair bill paid down a littel? Logging is a hard way to make an easy living......That being said it apperars the hardwood pulp "gold rush" is over,,prices are dropping fast for pickerloads,,,

gator330
01-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Parker

Whats the land owners cut on that load of fire wood or pulp that your getting $1,200 for?

I didn't see any place in here were any one said one bad thing about a Logger. Just that the price is high due to the type of demand in there area. For my area $650 for big load is about the going price. When I hear $1,200 I think thats crazy. We have a 50 mile law, I can't get it to a pulp yard. So it's the local mills and local firewood price for us. Now keep in mind I only play a little with logging. Trees on my own land that I can get out with the equipment I have. So when I get full value for a few logs rather then a cut with a logger. I might feel that the cut wasn't a fair deal. That and they get to own all that big, fun Equipment, that never breaks down and always starts on cold days. And if your a honest man defend your honesty againts all the fly by night crack head, drunk ones that will cut you blind and never pay for it. And to this day there are still a lot of them around.

By all means if you can get that kind of money for it and it's a fair and honest price, then make that dollar. I just don't see were you think any one is calling you "insane or greedy".

TapME
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
They yards here have reduced the loads of pulp that they are taking in to 1 a week (They call it taking a ticket). The yards are full. I have one on the way to the job that must have 2000 tuck loads of tree length in it. It sure is a lot of wood.

Parker
01-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Gator-read back thru the thread and you will see it,,,when the pulp was high I was paying $10 a ton, now I am paying $10 a cord,(2.5tons),if you dont pay your bills around here you dont buy too many woodlots,,and I have plenty of work ahead of me,,,,dont mean to be too negative,,just gets me going a littel,,,how many people are selling there syrup for $9 a quart? You have to get what you can while you can,,,

markcasper
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Since everyone is talking pulp. We have 240 cords of hardwood pulp and 30 cords of popple that got no bid during the bid opening last month. I had a mill buyer come last week and he surveyed the woods. He returned and complained out there not being enough bigger trees marked. He brought out the idea of remarking the woods himself. He complained of there being too much small stuff marked.
Since this is in the state MFL program. What will happen if the sale recieves no bids next spring or next fall? what will the dnr do if things don't turn around and it doesn't ever recieve a bid?? Will the DNR say tuff !^*@, we will just take it then.?

forester1
01-14-2009, 08:15 AM
I think I lucked out getting my woods cut last August. The local mill just cut their prices again. Aspen down $17 a cord to the logger. They are shutting down one paper machine and laying off some people. The local sawmills can't sell hardwood lumber and are cutting back. Mark, I wouldn't let timber buyers mark your woods, at least not without you looking at it before they cut. They want your big sap trees.

Dave Y
01-14-2009, 08:19 AM
markcasper,
What is a MFL program?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Definately second what forrestor 1 said DONT LET THE BUYER PICK AND CHOOSE WITHOUT YOU CHECKING IT OUT

RICH

markcasper
01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
managed forest law. Our forester marked it the way it was supossed to be marked, the way I wanted and to satisfy the requirements of the MFL. The buyer said "no charge" for the remark, but that they would guarantee the highest bid to themseleves.

I told him he'd have to talk to our forester as he is the one hired for the job.

Homestead Maple
01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
When pulp prices around here this spring were at $45 a ton, a load into the mill was bringing upwards of $1,350. Now that the price is down to around $28 a ton and going lower so I'm told, a load will be worth considerably less. We had people around here complaining that at $1,350 that was terrible to have to pay for a load of fire wood but as some of the operators here said, "hey, I can easily take it to the mill and within a week I have my check, no questions asked, no hassles." Understandable reasoning I would say.

royalmaple
01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Not to mention the pulp mill is going to take anything. 1/2 rotten, crooked, nut busta's etc. Firewood loads are generally pretty nice straight stuff. So do you also want to sort it out to get paid less.

Now being on the otherside and processing firewood I'll end up making more money than selling our hardwood as pulp but at some point you do it all.

I think more people think the price of firewood is directly related to the comparative price of oil, but its all driven by the pulp prices. And if pulp is high you have to sweeten the deal to get wood from the loggers instead of going to the pulp mill.

Parker we are seriously shifting the potential in those pines down the road on my lot.

michiganfarmer
02-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I paid $1400 for 20 pulp cord, a semi load of logs, in the summer of 08