PDA

View Full Version : Oil burner Supply lines

Rockingham Maple
01-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I am new to the website and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I FINALLY finish the tank fabrication and running the supply and return lines to my burner.

The burner is a Beckett AF (same as an A, or an AFG) originally set up for a single fuel line with no return. I took out the plug for the "return/Bypass" and plumbed it into the line back to the tank. However, I cannot get the pump to create enough draw to get the fuel moving, even when I try the old bleeder screw.

I know that the pump will do it because if I set it up as it was originally it bleeds out just fine and PRESTO! I have fire. So to sum it up, after running the return line, which of the two (if it matters) inlet holes to I use, and what else needs to be done to have it function properly as a two-line system?

Thanks for your help!

Haynes Forest Products
01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Do you have a filter and is it big enough? Is the fuel line big enough? I have the Beckett High Low fire burner and I didnt run the return line back to the tank I went from the return port back to the main fuel line and it works fine.

Rockingham Maple
01-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I have 1/4" lines run which should be plenty big enough. I have a 1.5 GPH nozzle on it and a filter which should handle up to 5 GPH. It seems like, although I haven't checked, there is vacuum being lost though the return line and I don't know why.

Seems pretty simple and probably is. It is probably another one of those "Can't see the forest through the trees" occasions.

Thanks!

mapleman3
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
An oil burner that was set up for single line will need a plug installed.... the port you opened for thr return line now MUST have a small hex head set screw installed INSIDE that port....

here is a link that will help you... it's an odd brand but still the same principle
http://www.ergiocontroles.com/download/Quemadores/Bombas%20Delta/Bomba%20Delta%20modelo%20VM.pdf

look some pages down it shows how to install the plug... any hvac supply house should be able to help you obtain a set screw bypass plug

Rockingham Maple
01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Installed the plug and I got fire! Cross one more thing off my list. Thanks for the help!

mapleman3
01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Sweet!!! Glad it worked... the nice thing about 2 lines is much easier startup no worry about air or flow