PDA

View Full Version : building all new evaporator

ontario guy
08-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I can't believe i am this excited about syrup season in the middle of the summer!!! Giad this hobby is addictive.

I am going to build a flat sap pan with dividers with a front pan. I am presently have about 60 taps (capacity of my boiler) and i want to cut down on the amount of time to boil. I presently get about 6 to 8 gallons per hour. I am hoping for 10 to 12 with the new setup.

I have a few questions about building my evaporator.

1. What size holes do you have in the sap pan deviders? Do you ever need to plug these hole?

2.Is it worth putting a reverse sap flow on the sap pan on a small setup like this?

3. How many sections would you put on the sap pan 3 or 5?

4. How big should i make my front pan? I am planning on a 5 by 2 foot sap pan and a 1 by 2 syrup pan. Or should i make it a 2 by 4 and a 2 by 2 front pan.

5 when finishing off do you let the syrup get really close, then shut the valve to the front pan to do the final touches. Or do you say shut the valve off 10 degrees from the setpoint? this would make the size of the batch and pan different.

6. As for the arch, i am making this myself, my dad has an arc welder.
What are the features of the inferno arch that make is to much better. I will try and put some of these features into mine.

Thank you for your help

mapleman3
08-19-2004, 02:42 PM
I would only do 2 sections in the sap pan, you could make syrup back there if your not careful with too many sections, and I would keep the 5x2 sap pan and go at least 2x2 in the front, 1 x 2 would get you nowhere... the dividers should be almost the height of the pan, maybe an inch or 2 lower, as for the hols for the sap transfer.. well you may just want to look at some pans to give yourself an idea... lots of ideas will be givin to you, take your time and do it once ;)

WF MASON
08-19-2004, 04:29 PM
#1-holes in dividers can be 1 1/2''- 2'' or can be on a 45' angle like in 4'' and up 4''
#2- NO
#3- 8'' between dividers= 3 sections
#4- no , a 12''x 24'' front syrup pan would work
#5 -take it to syrup
#6- add a blower into the firebox

Good Luck!!