PDA

View Full Version : Sap selling?

DaveB
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Which forum would be the place to ask if anyone around me is interested in selling sap? I didn't see a section for this in the classifieds section and I know that some guys do sell sap. I'm asking because I know sometimes that a producer has more taps than he is using and I'd like to see if there is anyone near me with excess capacity and wants to sell sap to me. I'm in the Stafford/Somers, CT area.

I figure asking is free!

Thanks,

Dave

brookledge
01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Just wondering if you are going to buy an RO.? Your signature says you have a 2X6 and already have 700 taps. I would think 700 would be keeping you plenty busy with a 2X6.
Keith

DaveB
01-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't have an RO yet, but I'm planning on adding one next season (2010). I'm targeting 700 taps for this year and I may not be able to get setup for that many (lots of different factors), so I wanted to see if anyone within a reasonable distance was selling sap to help make up the difference. Based on my experience in past years, I shouldn't have a problem keeping up with the difference. I'd like to see if I can get the sap I would have gotten so I can meet my needs for this year.

Dave

michiganfarmer
01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Ive put an add in the local paper once per month since september asking to buy sap. Ive had a few people from many miles away saying I could come tap their woods, but only recently had one person who wanted to tap thier own trees, and sell me the sap

DaveB
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I think I'm going to try a similar approach when we are looking for additional areas to tap. At the Farmers Markets that we do, we have a sign indicating that we will buy sap and many people offer their trees to us, so that is a good thing. I'm also trying to get some other farmers and/or producers that have excess trees to look into it. I would think for a farmer that doesn't want to produce it was be a good source of revenue since they only need to tap existing trees.

I was mainly wondering where on Maple Trader I could post about buying sap. I was thinking that maybe there could be a section under the classified for sap? Their is a bulk and equipment section, but no sap buying.

I'm still looking for an additional 150 gallons or so of sap a week to augment the bush that I'm not going to be able to tap this spring. I'm willing to drive 50 minutes or from Springfield, MA, so if anyone wants to sell some sap, I'll buy!

Thanks,

Dave

mfchef54
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I've post an ad on Craigslist. No responses yet but may be a place to try.