PDA

View Full Version : Price of Spouts/Tubing

NH Maplemaker
01-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Last year just before maple season the price of anything that had petroleum in it went though the roof!! Maple suppliers told us that was out of there control!! Thing that we need like Tubing, spouts,Main line,went up!! A year later a barrel of oil is at an un heard of year low!! But not word about these same prices going down!! Whats up with that ? Jim L

sapman
01-01-2009, 08:29 PM
As with all commodity related products, prices rise much faster than they fall. The only exception I can think of is the way gasoline fell. I'm sure prices will start to fall slowly, eventually. I know our supply store got their first price decrease notice last month on poly tanks.

Tim

markcasper
01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Leaders 30p went up $2 a roll within the last 2 weeks. Leaders memory flex for drops has went up $9.50 per roll in the last 2 weeks. Crude around 40-43 dollars a barrel. A year ago at this time it was plus $US100.

Makes as much sense as giving 5 banks trillions of taxpayer dollars, and then keeping it for themselves.

Bucket Head
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Don't get me going on the Leader Co. and their prices!

However, just out of curiosity here, has anyone seen similar increases in pricing on tubing from the other suppliers? Or is it just Leader trying to grab everyone right before the season?

I've used this analogy before. If any of us sold generators, and then upped the price during a blackout, we would be in court. Or possibly jail.

But they can up the price, for no reason, just as everyone needs it?

Steve

ennismaple
01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Give it some time. I'm sure they'll argue that the tubing on the shelves was made with $100/barrel oil and not the $40 stuff!!!

Russell Lampron
01-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Got my Bascom's catalog the other day and noticed that the IPL and Lapierre tubing were almost $10 a roll less than last year but the Leader tubing hadn't changed.

tuckermtn
01-02-2009, 06:54 AM
also need to look at the strength of the US Dollar vs. the canadian dollar...last year it was at par or slighly lower than the candaian dollar- hence Laperrier, etc. had price increases...this year it takes .80+ US cents to buy a CDN $$, so candaian made products should go back down in price...

NH Maplemaker
01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
With all the tubing and other items made of plastic leaving the selves as we all get ready for the 2009 season!! It's hard for me to believe that a surplus of this stuff was made last year with the price of oil!! At the same time some of these dealers that are selling us these items are greasing us up for lower syrup prices. Before the first drop of spring syrup is Even made!!
I apologise for this rant, I'm not trying to get negative here !! But it just seems that us little guys are always fighting to make a buck or break even! Jim L.

Bucket Head
01-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, the little guy, or consumers in general, get abbused.

Russ- Thanks for sharing the other tubing costs.

You guys starting to see what I mean about Leader?

Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of good stuff, but their pricing on a lot of it is simply unacceptable.

I will still purchase some items from them. But I no longer buy exclusively from them. I now do a lot of shopping around and searching the internet.

In the past I purchased many things from them only to find the same thing, or very similar thing, for far less elsewhere.

I understand they are trying to make a profit, who is'nt? But price gouging, unjustified increases, and hiking up prices right before someone wants to buy something is intolerable.

Steve